New Forks - Any Good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've recently come into possesion of a rather battered Scott Voltage. TBH most of the componentry is either missing or battered beyond belief, but it does look to have a set of wheels/forks in decent condition.

The forks are Marzochhi Drop off IV units.I'm guessing from what I can find on-line that they're 130mm travel air and coil units, with a 20mm through Axle.

Are these any good? Would they be worth using as replacements for the 120mm SunTours on my GT hard-tail?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Since nobody else answered I will try...

Some Suntours are better than the others, combined with unknown respective conditions it is really impossible to say whether it is any better (and in which aspect). Points I think I should raise is with 20mm thru axle (though this doesn't say so) do you have the right front hub for it? and are you running rim brakes on the GT and if the new forks is only disc compatible is the wheel disc compatible?

You must also check steerer length to ensure it would fit the GT. If weight saving is the motivation I suspect there won't be much difference.

It is impossible to be sure without knowing your Suntour model code but most 120mm forks have A2C of around 495mm while the Drop Off is 520mm. That sort of difference will make the bike's steering more sluggish/stable depending on your point of view.

Air forks are generally harder/dearer to maintain than spring oil ones. But if you have the inclination and time the Marzocchi will be good forks to play with because unlike most Suntours it would be relatively easy to get full support documentation for it. You will need to get a shock pump to run air forks.

Finally some Scott Voltage are worth doing up.

Hope it helps!

Top Bottom