New Forums Part II

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s the problem. The lesson clearly not being learnt is that a forum belongs to its members - not to the founder or the moderators. Simply doing something and then saying you can’t go back is what leads to the death of forums.

If you’re going to ask how to improve things, then you actually need to listen to and act on the responses.
I think as a mod I see my role as serving the CC community, I think we all do but it means all the community, that's not always easy to judge.

green1

Über Member
I quite like having a quick browse of the forums whilst at work. Not a problem with CC but PD is blocked as it contains 'extremist views'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I fear we are about to get on a roundabout, I do feel some good points have been made I'm going to ask @Shaun now to close the thread & hope sense & compromise will prevail by everybody.

Ciar

Veteran
I don't post often. I read interesting threads (and they are often up to page 3 before I see them) and think oooh, I've got a point to make with this subject but then as the comments go on there is sniping and arrogance and unnecessary stuff that I then don't bother posting my thoughts. And for being a newbie and not knowing much about the people that frequent here, its the same names I see each time being unpleasant. I'm sure others will feel the same as me, which is a shame, but normal that the minority spoil it for the majority.

That's me to a tee, hit new posts check posts, if interesting read and possibly post. otherwise it's the commuting and MTB sections i frequent.

as for the political posts, you are bang on, i have read a few and you can clearly see who is banging which drum, honestly i have thought of posting in the past, but i find it's too much like hard work to have an opinion, so i don't bother ;-)

U

User482

You have and there's a lot I agree with but then I was a reader of contributor of PaCA, not everyone is and not everyone enjoyed getting tangled up in the forum. Ultimately you have a forum made up of cyclists not political minded debaters, so there's always a balance to be struck, which recently I don't think we'd struck. Even PaCA was bleeding members.

P&CA was made opt-in, what did you think would happen? You're right of course that not everyone is interested in political debate, but then no-one is being forced to go to that part of the site. I would re-iterate my original point that the membership landed here because of a specific desire to have political debate within the context of a cycling community.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Am I complaining about the move? My issue is that I'm bored seeing constant snidey little digs about it on a cycling forum. The most vociferous being the ones who, ironically, created the situation.
If you're a moderator able to see who was generating or submitting the most reports per post, why doesn't it say "Staff Member" under your username?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Maybe if the lots of reasons were clearly stated I might understand it more, but from a personal POV it's made CC a boring place, then add a clear directive to moderate everything with a hammer there seems very little community about it and some strange desire where everything is fluffy stays on topic and you cannot discuss wider topics.

Forums should be dynamic. It's clear most people read new posts when they arrive and in the last week three word game is on the front page a thread I barely knew existed yet has been around longer than I have been registered.

U

User482

If only someone had pointed that out earlier, before making the changes.

Yeah, I know. TMNs all over the place. Being an optimistic sort, I remain hopeful that if enough of us keep saying it, some notice will be taken.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't care the old politics section has gone. However I do care about the new censoring of the rest of the site. TBH having the old section was a good place to send threads when they got silly so those that wanted to be silly could carry on.

Now, anything that has the potential to be silly is also closed down and that's going to cut down on varied and interesting content which is a massive shame.

I tend to agree @Markymark

Given there is no Politics sub forum now, almost inevitably some element of politics starts to appear on other bits of CC, mainly the Café. If I want to discuss politics with other CCers I would have gone to the Politics sub forum

However, what seems to have been the problem was the inordinate amount of time Moderators were having to spend in applying CC rules in the Politics subforum. I'd be all for reinstatement of the Politics subforum and for some form of self moderation/regulation/free for all there. That way, the subforum lives or dies based on the people who post there. If it gets nasty and people stop posting then those who want a vibrant Politics subforum only have themselves to blame

mjr

I quite having a quick browse of the forums whilst at work. Not a problem with CC but PD is blocked as it contains 'extremist views'.
Seriously? What filter's already got it listed and has been deployed widely? Oh crikey - it was registered 2013-2015 before @Shaun registered it in June 2017. I didn't find a cached copy of the previous site. I wonder what it contained!

U

User32269

If you're a moderator able to see who was generating or submitting the most reports per post, why doesn't it say "Staff Member" under your username?
I could see clearly who stifled debate and used personal insults regularly. Even with a little face under my name.
So could others.

mjr

I fear we are about to get on a roundabout, I do feel some good points have been made I'm going to ask @Shaun now to close the thread & hope sense & compromise will prevail by everybody.
Personally I would really rather the thread remained open and was left to die down naturally so @Shaun and @Moderators can reflect and maybe in a few days try to bring this to the widest possible consensus. Slamming another thread shut in people's faces seems likely to exacerbate the problem.

P&CA was made opt-in, what did you think would happen? You're right of course that not everyone is interested in political debate, but then no-one is being forced to go to that part of the site. I would re-iterate my original point that the membership landed here because of a specific desire to have political debate within the context of a cycling community.
The original membership yes, things change and move on and they have. Unfortunately you don't get to see all the feedback just as a member and as a lot of it is confidential I can't tell you about it, this is the tricky part about me as a mod getting involved in these discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom