New Forums Part II

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why not start a thread on there then?
I will once we have time travel and aren't condemned by the mistakes already made with that site.

I don't post often. I read interesting threads (and they are often up to page 3 before I see them) and think oooh, I've got a point to make with this subject but then as the comments go on there is sniping and arrogance and unnecessary stuff that I then don't bother posting my thoughts. And for being a newbie and not knowing much about the people that frequent here, its the same names I see each time being unpleasant. I'm sure others will feel the same as me, which is a shame, but normal that the minority spoil it for the majority.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
[QUOTE 5052192, member: 45"]What's confusing me is that there's a ban on talking about anything that's not light-hearted enough to live in cafe. That's everything, but it's been sold as a ban on politics.

The problem wasn't with discussing party politics. It was when the unsavoury views appeared. That's what needs to disappear from CC. The unsavoury views then led to (which all of us who replied are responsible for) bickering, insults and more undesirable content....[/QUOTE]
I have wanted to start a thread about Zimbabwe but I haven’t because it isn’t really a cafe subject.
It is a news issue, not politics, but there is no home for anyone with an interest in current affairs to discuss this.

U

User32269

The way I use the forum is to look at new posts, if I see something I like I read it, I usually take no notice of what sub forum the post is in, I don't see the posts in the new forum and have no desire to join just a political forum, I sometimes found it interesting to read the views on politics of fellow cyclists, although you could never be sure who actualy turned a pedal, but it was part of a cycling forum so you hope they did, it was like discussing things on a club run that to me was more interesting than discussing them on Question time.
I can see that's a fair point and understand it. Personally I don't have that big an issue with pressing a button to view overtly political content if I so desire. It is no different than using the great outdoors site.
I don't buy some of the views expressed over this, the existing community could have easily continued, in fact had the chance to improve things, but have chosen not to.
I've posted before that cycling threads will undoubtedly throw up political content, but it's not difficult to diferenciate between this and off topic political discussion. It would require an element of adjustment and good will at first.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So where do we go then?
I'd suggest nowhere for at least a week and maybe longer. Let things settle down. Focus on healing this site more than promoting the other one. If you have to close a thread for being off-topic political, don't include an advert for the other site. Probably don't start any more political threads with messages telling people not to discuss certain aspects - many of us are British and sarcasm isn't exactly a rare form of comedy.

It would also be fascinating to know why we "couldn't have a separate mod team on CC due to the way the site is configured" but maybe only to techies like me who see separate mod teams in the Xenforo manuals and wonder what the prerequisites are.

Personally, I'd suggest recognising and involving more non-mod contributors somehow, but there's tons of advice on community development and cooperative management written by people who know far more about it than me.

green1

Über Member
So where do we go then?
More engagement with the community.
I know it can be a pita for forum staff but it's what prevents an 'us and them' atmosphere appearing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
So where do we go then?
Stop checking every post looking for problems? Bothe now or in the old P&CA. If you look hard enough you will always find a problem.

Me personally I don't like being told what to do, when what I was doing wasn't breaking any rules. User made the point it is extreme views that most people see as extreme that garnered the response that Shawn and or the Mods seem to have taken Uxbridge at.

U

User482

So where do we go then?
1. Encourage, rather than suppress political consciousness.
2. Don't continually ask people to report posts then complain that lots of posts are being reported
3. Ask for more people to volunteer to moderate P&CA
4. Get rid of the silly "opt in" for P&CA so there can be a better transition for threads between there and the café.

@User has given the answer:

Deal with the overt sexism, misogyny, racism, homophobia and other types of hate talk. Deal with those who are purely there to troll (and they are very obvious by their posts) and let those who want to get on with having an adult debate do so.

This may mean robust and sometimes heated disagreement - but we get over it as that’s what adults do. I have had strong debates and exchanges with quite a few people on here and yet I’ve enjoyed meeting them in person and sharing a gin or two. Because most people on here are grown ups...
I think we do all that. I don't always see eye to eye with you on those things but I do respect your views. That's not what I meant though. I mean, PaCA isn't coming back for lots of reasons but if there's a compromise which would work for everyone perhaps we should aim for that, something constructive which will move us forward.

U

User482

I think we do all that. I don't always see eye to eye with you on those things but I do respect your views. That's not what I meant though. I mean, PaCA isn't coming back for lots of reasons but if there's a compromise which would work for everyone perhaps we should aim for that, something constructive which will move us forward.
Either there is going to be an arena for political and topical discussion, or there isn't. If there isn't, where's the compromise? If there is, then let's talk about how to make it work. I have given some suggestions.

Either there is going to be an arena for political and topical discussion, or there isn't. If there isn't, where's the compromise? If there is, then let's talk about how to make it work. I have given some suggestions.
You have and there's a lot I agree with but then I was a reader of contributor of PaCA, not everyone is and not everyone enjoyed getting tangled up in the forum. Ultimately you have a forum made up of cyclists not political minded debaters, so there's always a balance to be struck, which recently I don't think we'd struck. Even PaCA was bleeding members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom