New gps coming soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
In Italy it's fairly common for farmers who take a dislike to people using minor road that cross their farms to block the roads - like building a stone wall across it. After a few years, they'll dig up the (now unused) road and plough it over. I could show you maybe 30 instances of that within a 50km radius of where I used to live.

Interesting - did folk not protest? Did the authorities not take an interest/show any signs at all of stepping in?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You can get a quick idea of the current state of the map for an area on cycle.travel/map, which is OSM.
I went and had a look and I couldn't remember where the missing roads were! ^_^

D

Deleted member 23692

I would want something that big hanging off the front of my bike.

I'll stick with my etrex

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It feels like one of those e-book readers that numerous tech and high street brands launched to compete with Amazon's Kindle but failed when there wasn't a large enough customer base and the cost of the IT infrastructure and licencing became too expensive for anyone to continue to support. I wonder why OS don't simply try to make their mobile app more user friendly, anyone trying to use their app hiking in the Lake District for example will be faced with a blank screen because of the poor mobile data coverage there.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a lot of money for what it is. I get the entire UK at 1:25000 and 1:10000 for free, and the hardware can't be that expensive to produce. Watching with interest, but at the current prices, nah.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It feels like one of those e-book readers that numerous tech and high street brands launched to compete with Amazon's Kindle but failed when there wasn't a large enough customer base and the cost of the IT infrastructure and licencing became too expensive for anyone to continue to support. I wonder why OS don't simply try to make their mobile app more user friendly, anyone trying to use their app hiking in the Lake District for example will be faced with a blank screen because of the poor mobile data coverage there.

Mrs P usually plots the route in the OS app as a backup. This uses GPS and doesn't need coverage. Works well for us when we are unsure.

Still prefer to use a map first and the GPS as back up if we are unsure of our location.

Top Bottom