New gps coming soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like the look of that but would worry where it says water resistant. The way the weather is, I’d want it to have an aqua lung fitted

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's interesting, I wouldn't have a use for it i don't think, it just seems to be a vehicle for selling their mapping and these days there's a lot of other ways to get OS maps. 1:50 isn't so useful as 1:25 for off road stuff, so that's a further investment. I shall stick to my Garmin and OS maps on my phone through Quo and their android app.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I like the look of that but would worry where it says water resistant. The way the weather is, I’d want it to have an aqua lung fitted
It say IP67, which is up to 1 m for 30 minutes, so it should be OK for being rained on.

I'd worry more about the mapping.
OS 1:50k is fine in its way, but isn't too good if you zoom right in for detail in congested areas, like in town centres, with off-street cycle tracks etc likely to be absent. 1:25k is better, but still limited, and pretty expensive. OpenStreetmap isn't mentioned in the blurb at all.
Garmin's mapping format got cracked long ago, so up to date OSM maps can be obtained from lots of places, usually for free

It say IP67, which is up to 1 m for 30 minutes, so it should be OK for being rained on.

I'd worry more about the mapping.
OS 1:50k is fine in its way, but isn't too good if you zoom right in for detail in congested areas, like in town centres, with off-street cycle tracks etc likely to be absent. 1:25k is better, but still limited, and pretty expensive. OpenStreetmap isn't mentioned in the blurb at all.
Garmin's mapping format got cracked long ago, so up to date OSM maps can be obtained from lots of places, usually for free

thanks for that, your technical knowledge is very handy for a technafob like me.

quick question, where can I get the OSM maps from?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It says international mapping available. I wonder what that is.

I use OS maps in my GPS in the UK, but OSM outside.

I found that OSM for France that I downloaded (from velopmap.org) had chunks of missing road and was a bit substandard. I wonder if the international stuff for this is better.

Not that I'm in the market for a GPS, mind. I'm happy with what I've got.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It says international mapping available. I wonder what that is.
I found that OSM for France that I downloaded (from velopmap.org) had chunks of missing road and was a bit substandard.
Looking at the linked page, it's either TomTom or raster (i.e. digital versions of paper maps, same as the OS 1:50k), which in France would be IGN Top25 or Top100.

If your OSM download was a few years ago, you'll probably find it's improved. France looks quite decent to me now.
You can get a quick idea of the current state of the map for an area on cycle.travel/map, which is OSM.
What you might download for a GPS won't be the same for non-road detail, as every map producer makes their own choice of what to include or omit. The only thing cycle.travel uses that you won't find in a GPS download is the terrain shading.

contadino

Veteran
I found that OSM for France that I downloaded (from velopmap.org) had chunks of missing road and was a bit substandard. I wonder if the international stuff for this is better.

In Italy it's fairly common for farmers who take a dislike to people using minor road that cross their farms to block the roads - like building a stone wall across it. After a few years, they'll dig up the (now unused) road and plough it over. I could show you maybe 30 instances of that within a 50km radius of where I used to live. The OSM maps really struggle to keep up with change. However, broadly-speaking otherwise the OSM maps were very good.

As you'd expect, Switzerland and Germany are faultless IME.

ETA, I've never used sources for maps other than the OSMand download page.

Top Bottom