New groupset of wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
I've got a specialized allez sport and I'm in love with it, the frame I love, and it is rather light, however it is lacking any serious performance part so here is the question, I want to improve the feel of the bike aswell as asthetics, it's currently full sora, and on axis classic wheels, so what would be best to buy, an ultegra groupset or carbon wheel's , I was looking at something in the 50mm depth range, I don't want to change the frame so I'll make that clear now :smile: in time I want to buy both and add things like carbon bars and seatpost ect, but what should I buy first? And would I notice a big difference switching from sora to ultegra?

buggi

Bird Saviour
get better wheels but not carbon. Spend the money you save on the wheels on 105 groupset. You'll be flying.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I'm looking at ultegra or used dura ace , not wanting anything lower on the account that I am a snob! I can not stand that I've only got sora, I did buy an ultegra crank but got an email a few days later saying they actually had no stock and never got round to getting another, I was thinking get a pair of Chinese carbon wheels just for best use not for everyday riding, cause my current wheels seem to add a ton of weight to the bike

buggi

Bird Saviour
having had both i can say there's no noticeable difference really. Ultegra won't make you faster than 105. Dura Ace, I've heard, needs replacing more often and both Dura and Ultegra means extra money on the service (my last one was £400 which made me question why i went for ultegra). For wearability, i wouldn't go higher than Ultegra and lots of good cyclists i know are happy with 105.
You should upgrade your wheels first if you want to see a difference but i wouldn't have carbon, i just go for a really good set of Mavics or other good make.
unless of course you got money to burn? Or at least the muscle to back up your statement bike!

AndyRM

XOXO
What's your budget?

105 is an excellent gruppo. And as @buggi says, doesn't really offer you much less than Ultegra. I believe you save an incredible 35gms...

If you're a snob, why are you bothering with a Japanese upstart?

Campagnolo Super Record is what you want.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I don't have money to burn, in fact I don't have that much, just enough to get what I would like over time, I am definitely not wanting 105, it has to be dura ace or ultegra, I'm looking at picking either one up cheap in parts on eBay, be it new or lightly used, the main question was. Will there be a noticeable difference between these and sora, and what would benefit me more, wheels first or groupset first

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Imho you should listen to buggi's wise suggestions. Decent wheels and top quality tyres and tubes properly set up is likely to be your most cost effective improvement for performance and feel. Furthe because new bikes are generally under-wheeled it can be an investment you can deploy on a posh bike when you can afford one.

Peteaud

Veteran
I don't have money to burn, in fact I don't have that much, just enough to get what I would like over time, I am definitely not wanting 105, it has to be dura ace or ultegra, I'm looking at picking either one up cheap in parts on eBay, be it new or lightly used, the main question was. Will there be a noticeable difference between these and sora, and what would benefit me more, wheels first or groupset first
Buy the wheelset 1st.

The standard Axis wheels are not that good imho

105 is not much difference to ultegra, but check out merlin cycles for groupset prices.

mattobrien

Guru
Personally I wouldn't bother putting Ultegra on an Allez. No disrespect to the Allez, I had one as my first road bike and went down a similar upgrade path to you, but you are looking at putting a groupset that retails at over a grand on a bike that costs less than £750, including the groupset and wheels which you are looking to change.

I did look at Ultegra when upgrading the gruppo but went 105 and am happy that I did. I have recently migrated it to a new frame.

If you really want Ultrgra, could I be impertinent and suggest that you also get a frame set that will do it justice. If you are planning on upgrading the frame at some point and it is a moving feast in terms of bike parts, then no harm in getting Ultegea, if it is also going to be used for the next bike too.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
OP Wheels first, then groupset if you must, but, as others have said, you are now at the stage of gathering a set of components which you will happily swap from one frame to another. If that's the plan then enjoy, but Ultegra on an Allez does seem a bit incongruous.:becool:

Amazing. I've just looked at those wheels and been interested in the weights. I have a set of mid-range tubeless ready All Mountain MTBN wheels, disc hubs, with rims that'll take a 2.5" tyre. They weigh about 400g less than the heaviest wheels on that site, and about 100g more than the Flo 30.

vickster

Legendary Member
Better bike?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT2/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-road-bike

With
BUY NOW PAY LATER - INTEREST FREE FOR SIX MONTHS
Spend over £500 and get six months free credit subject to a £20 settlement fee.

Sell the Allez or keep as winter hack. You'll just be wanting to upgrade the frame soon

If such a snob, why did you buy a bike with Sora in the first place? Does your snobbery far outweigh the depth of your pockets?

Last edited:

uclown2002

Guru
I've got a basic Allez 2011 model and I've just put my Mavic Aksium wheelset on from my Boardman and the bike is noticeably better.
I'm just about to put a complete 105 groupset on as an upgrade to the 2300; but wouldn't contemplate Ultegra on this frame for reasons posted above.

Your bike, your money, so do what you want and enjoy the upgrade. :thumbsup:

VamP

Banned
OP Wheels first, then groupset if you must, but, as others have said, you are now at the stage of gathering a set of components which you will happily swap from one frame to another. If that's the plan then enjoy, but Ultegra on an Allez does seem a bit incongruous.:becool:

Amazing. I've just looked at those wheels and been interested in the weights. I have a set of mid-range tubeless ready All Mountain MTBN wheels, disc hubs, with rims that'll take a 2.5" tyre. They weigh about 400g less than the heaviest wheels on that site, and about 100g more than the Flo 30.

A bit OT, but the FLO wheels are all built around being aero, with weight a secondary consideration. They are taking the TT and Triathlon world by storm due to their extremely good aero characteristics, low pricing and clincher versatility. The concept is different from most aero wheels, as the carbon fairing doesn't have a structural function, it's just aero. The rims are basically standard alloy clincher rims (new school wider rim) with alloy braking surface, and a lightweight carbon aero fairing bolted on.

So weight comparisons with other types of wheels are missing the point of these wheels IMO. I know a few serious TT riders who rate them positively in comparison to Zipps, and they are a lot cheaper.

AndyRM

XOXO

Yes, you will notice a difference between the top end of Shimano, and the bottom. The point which myself and others are making is that you won't notice a great deal of difference between 105 and Ultegra/Dura Ace. If you were considering the battery operated versions of those groupsets then you probably would, but that would look daft hanging off an Allez IMO. Otherwise, you are essentially paying for cachet and 30gms. If that's what you want to do then go for it.

Wheels are the best place to start though. I believe this is due to a thing called rotational mass, but I am a mere graphic designer so unable to properly explain the theory.

Oh yeah, and don't buy 'lightly used' - defeats your snobbery argument big time! If you can't afford it new today, then wait until you can. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom