New helmet law in Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Nick

It seems like trolling to me - no need to be so rude. We get that you'd be happy with compulsion. Many people feel very strongly about this issue and we are the ones with something to lose, so now you've made your point perhaps you could go away.

I would not be at all happy with compulsion, but it wouldn't stop me riding my bike. I'd have to be one of those people being fined, arrested, and appearing in court to test the law, as my lifestyle would make it possible for me to make a stand. CTC and other organisations would help to fund protests and defence costs. It would be a very big deal indeed.
Ok, now you've made yours so by the same token 'go away' as you put it which incidentally is also quite rude

Big Nick

I am contributing to a thread that I started. You have form for this sort of thing Big Nick, and it is very offputting.
These threads always go the same way though, it's as if its not allowed to be 'pro-helmet' on here as if you are you'll be targeted by the anti-helmet brigade and basically told to shut up and go away as you and Adrian have clearly shown in this thread thus far.

Back on topic, surely any law that's aim is to protect children isn't necessarily a bad thing??

Big Nick

The list is endless unfortunately Adrian

What's the point in starting a new thread when it's the same issue Tiny? You pin your colours to the mast with your sarcastic description of said equipment however unfortunately not everybody is going to agree with you or are only those that do allowed to participate in this thread?

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
These threads always go the same way though, it's as if its not allowed to be 'pro-helmet' on here as if you are you'll be targeted by the anti-helmet brigade and basically told to shut up and go away as you and Adrian have clearly shown in this thread thus far.

Back on topic, surely any law that's aim is to protect children isn't necessarily a bad thing??
But what are Jersey children being made to protect themselves from? It couldn't be those red bits on the ncap diagram a few posts back, could it?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Wouldn't bother me if it was compulsory

That's fine, good on you- have a scone. The problems begin when you start inflicting your choice on others through enforcement. You are taking away the reasoned decision making from individuals perfectly capable of making up their own minds on such things. That's not good.

Amusingly I note you've already started with the "why won't you just think of the children" cobblers. Very funny.

For all I know, most of your riding is down the A1, in which case I might almost understand your desire to strap a useless piece of plastic to your head. Most of my riding is at about 10mph along routes like this...

image.jpg

If you're seriously suggesting I need a helmet for this, then I might very politely suggest you are barking.

Not that types of route make any difference of course, but it just illustrates the point that you simply can't inflict your choice on everyone. If compulsion does ever happen here, it would be catastrophic for cycling in the UK and I'd be joining TMN for sure in completely ignoring it.

Big Nick

I couldn't give a crap if you wear one or not Glowy and thinking about child safety is never laughable I would suggest

As the vast majority of cyclists I see wear helmets I wouldn't think introduction of a compulsory law would be the disaster you seem to think it would

Big Nick

The point is blatantly obvious. The compulsion that many people thought would never happen has just moved a tiny step closer to becoming a reality.

Big Nick, it has nothing to do with being 'pro-helmet'. I don't care if you think helmets are good and you want to wear one. I just don't want you to make me wear one. Clear enough?

I wouldn't make you, the government would

My point is quite a lot of us would be fine with it and in time you would also adjust to doing so just as people have done in the main for laws relating to compulsory use of other safety equipment.

jonesy

Guru
How much diifference would compulsion make here? Australia demonstrated a decrease in rider numbers following compulsion, but what was the non wearing/wearing split beforehand? The vast majority of cyclists I see wear helmets, but i dont live in an area which has high numbers of cyclists. So whilst I dont want compulsion, if it were introduced it wouldnt stop me riding my bike.
This is a really important point. As far as I'm aware so far helmet compulsion has only been in places with relatively low levels of cycling, and where the cycling that exists is more likely to be for leisure or sport, and utility cycling more likely to be undertaken by those who are more enthusiastic about cycling. People like us in other words. Many of whom already wear helmets at least some of the time. It seems reasonable therefore to suppose that the effects of a helmet law in such places would be less severe, proportionally, than if imposed in a place where cycling is an everyday activity undertaken by normal people in normal clothes, who don't regard themselves as 'cyclists' per se. The fact that you see much lower percentages of cyclists wearing helmets in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Cambridge and Oxford, and on Boris Bikes, ought to come as a warning that helmet compulsion is likely to be barrier to encouraging everyday cycling, which is supposedly what the government, TfL etc want to achieve.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I couldn't give a crap if you wear one or not Glowy and thinking about child safety is never laughable I would suggest

As the vast majority of cyclists I see wear helmets I wouldn't think introduction of a compulsory law would be the disaster you seem to think it would

And no one gives a crap what you put on your head. Why do you want to force the rest of us do wear a useless lid if you don't give a crap? That's just weird.

jonesy

Guru
I wouldn't make you, the government would

My point is quite a lot of us would be fine with it and in time you would also adjust to doing so just as people have done in the main for laws relating to compulsory use of other safety equipment.
And others are likely simply not to bother cycling if it requires a helmet for every trip. You need to stop assuming that what you, or your friends, think about helmets automatically applies to other people. especially those whose travel behaviour and cycle use is very different from yours.

jonesy

Guru
The irony......
I don't think you understand what 'irony' means...

The point, in case you've missed it, is that no-one is trying to prevent you or your friends from wearing a helmet. So no-one is assuming that what they think about helmets should apply to you. But you are assuming that what you do should apply to everyone else. So please go ahead and carry on wearing one if you wish, I usually do...

Big Nick

Making a general statement about what 'others' will do by applying what his view on it is, isn't that what you're saying I'm doing??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom