New helmet law in Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Nick

Are they comparable? Do people need to be encouraged to use cars?

Electric ones maybe

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think it's quite an interesting diversion actually. Though I would also point out that car occupants suffer far more head injuries per year than cyclists (total values), and don't have the same issues of needing ventilation. Considering these things, and the fact that all sport drivers wear helmets, then surely if we are out to prevent head injuries then driving/car passenger helmets might be a more effective move than cycle helmets.

User269

I'm all in favour of helmets being made compulsory....................for pedestrians;
Pedestrian casualties 2001-09
  • Killed by cycles: 18
  • Seriously injured by cycles: 434
  • Killed by cars: 3,495
  • Seriously injured by cars: 46,245
Figures apply to Great Britain. Source: Department for Transport

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This is a really important point. As far as I'm aware so far helmet compulsion has only been in places with relatively low levels of cycling, and where the cycling that exists is more likely to be for leisure or sport, and utility cycling more likely to be undertaken by those who are more enthusiastic about cycling. People like us in other words. Many of whom already wear helmets at least some of the time. It seems reasonable therefore to suppose that the effects of a helmet law in such places would be less severe, proportionally, than if imposed in a place where cycling is an everyday activity undertaken by normal people in normal clothes, who don't regard themselves as 'cyclists' per se. The fact that you see much lower percentages of cyclists wearing helmets in Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Cambridge and Oxford, and on Boris Bikes, ought to come as a warning that helmet compulsion is likely to be barrier to encouraging everyday cycling, which is supposedly what the government, TfL etc want to achieve.
The Boris Bikes point is well made and one wonders how that issue would be overcome should helmets be made compulsary. The Amsterdam and Copenhagen examples are ideal in demonstrating what I see as the difference that you seem to be pointing out. The wearing of cycle helmets as a protective measure seems to me to be embedded into the UK psyche, purely anecdotal of course but I have never had a conversation with anybody that did not believe that a cycle helmet was at least useful and in most cases essential. So I wonder, considering the way helmets are promoted by the media and viewed by the general population (in my admittedly limited experience) how much real difference compulsion would make to cyclist numbers. Would making helmets compulsary really have a devastating effect on the numbers cycling in the UK.
I have no experience of Oxford or Cambridge cyclists however I have an image of lots of students zipping around helmetless so I take your point.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You can argue that point, although anecdotes are not much use.

It would make a real difference to me and to my cycling though. I'm still waiting for Big Nick et al. to explain to me why they should be allowed to affect my life in this way.
I know anecdotes aren't much use, does anybody have a study carried out in the UK which suggests that compulsion would prevent people riding?

Would it stop you getting on your bike?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The Boris Bikes point is well made and one wonders how that issue would be overcome should helmets be made compulsary. The Amsterdam and Copenhagen examples are ideal in demonstrating what I see as the difference that you seem to be pointing out. The wearing of cycle helmets as a protective measure seems to me to be embedded into the UK psyche, purely anecdotal of course but I have never had a conversation with anybody that did not believe that a cycle helmet was at least useful and in most cases essential. So I wonder, considering the way helmets are promoted by the media and viewed by the general population (in my admittedly limited experience) how much real difference compulsion would make to cyclist numbers. Would making helmets compulsary really have a devastating effect on the numbers cycling in the UK.
I have no experience of Oxford or Cambridge cyclists however I have an image of lots of students zipping around helmetless so I take your point.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPjvZlAl_js

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Have you ever looked at the effect of helmet compulsion on cyclist numbers in those places where it has occurred?
I am aware that it had a massive effect on numbers in Australia. What I haven't seen is a comparison between the number of riders in Australia that were helmetless prior to compulsion compared to the numbers in the UK currently.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Perhaps I need to state my case a little more clearly.
I do not wear a helmet and I believe it should be a choice made by the individual. However a number of times I have seen claims that compulsion would devastate cycling in the UK. I'd like to know where this assertion comes from. We can look at Australia as an example of where the introduction of the helmet law certainly had a negative effect on cyclist numbers but is it a fair comparison? How similar was the Australian cycling culture to the UK when compulsion was introduced?

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom