New helmet law in Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What is the rationale of limiting the law to people under 14 years old? Is it that their skulls are more fragile, that they are more reckless, or just that an injured child is seen as more of a tragedy than a grown-up? Anybody know?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
14 year olds don't vote?

Or going after the 'what about the children' hysteria

Big Nick

Read the thread, I can't spoon feed you any more than I have already.
I have but I'm struggling to find a 'real' difference which would actually stop you from still getting on your bike. I find it quite strange that someone would stop riding their bike because they had to wear a helmet.

I don't read too much into the Australia example as it's about 20 degrees C hotter there than it is here so probably quite uncomfortable to do so for some, if anything here wearing a helmet would keep your head warm!

Whatever law comes in there's always someone banging on about how it infringes their civil liberties and such like rather than whether it will make any actual tangible difference to their life or not.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have but I'm struggling to find a 'real' difference which would actually stop you from still getting on your bike. I find it quite strange that someone would stop riding their bike because they had to wear a helmet.
Spontaneity - which is why the London and Dublin cycle hire schemes have been so successful, Melbourne's has been a total flop and Mexico City is looking at repealing it's cycle helmet laws to encourage use of it's system. This is aside from the impression that cycling must be dangerous if it involves safety gear. Something that has been shown to be a major barrier to non-cyclists, especially female non-cyclists riding.

I also know two people in my reasonably small office who do cycle, but won't cycle to work (mandatory helmets on site) because of the helmet rules.
I don't read too much into the Australia example as it's about 20 degrees C hotter there than it is here so probably quite uncomfortable to do so for some, if anything here wearing a helmet would keep your head warm.
Today's high temperature for London is 25oC, Sydney's is 16oC. Just to check it wasn't a fluke for Sydney, Melbourne is also 16oC. Australia isn't uniformly super hot.

Whatever law comes in there's always someone banging on about how it infringes their civil liberties and such like rather than whether it will make any actual tangible difference to their life or not.

Amazingly enough, people usually bother to comment when they feel laws are going to impact them.

For helmet compulsion, however, there is a significant body of evidence that it is overall negative for population health, mainly due to the documented drop in cycling rates (if you need me to quote the whole Geffen position on this again in this thread I will) and the well documented benefit of cycling on overall health.

my own personal view on this topic is that as a parent i have a duty of care in making sure that i protect my children from serious injury to the best of my ability through supervision of the things they do.

this includes making sure that if they are going to ride a bike that they wear a helmet for protection.

Thudguards protect infants ....So you agree fully with the use of the Thudguard then?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgpqfQPJafixe3qRxIaDWpFbui6etfnQuebgMXXe7OQCULPiRq.jpg

how much protection a helmet offers is questionable but still even if a helmet only offers minimal protection against serious head injury then they will have & be made to wear the helmet for the minimal protection that if offers, until they reach the age when they can make an informed decision about the pros & cons of helmets & decide at that time if they want to wear a helmet or not.

Again - full support for the Thudguard?

Until that day comes it is my responsibility to make them wear one, should they be compulsory for all?

That's not my decision but if they offer even minimal protection for your head then to me its better to wear one & have some protection than not wear one & have no protection.

If i was going to hit my head after falling off then i would rather wear one & look like a nob for a small period of the day than spend the rest of my life dribbling down chin & staring into space & family wishing i had worn one.

I cannot say how impressed I am with your arguments in support of teh Thudguard

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Thanks everyone for derailing what could have been an interesting thread.

I'm not so sure about that.

There's not a lot more that could have been said about the original point - helmets being compulsory in Jersey - other than yes, it's regrettable and no, it doesn't really have any implications for the UK.

Big Nick

Have you still not read what TMN wrote? Not stop cycling but carry on cycling and risk whatever the law decides.
So keep being fined for not wearing a helmet (should it ever come in)??

Sounds like a load of self-indignant bluster

'If' it becomes law, then the law is the law and it would end up being rather expensive to ignore it

RedRider

Pulling through
So keep being fined for not wearing a helmet (should it ever come in)??

Sounds like a load of self-indignant bluster

'If' it becomes law, then the law is the law and it would end up being rather expensive to ignore it
I like to think I'd do the same as TMN and that plenty of others would too. ie not wear a helmet and not pay the fines. It's civil disobedience, man
edit: as explained by TMN a second before my post.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I don't read too much into the Australia example as it's about 20 degrees C hotter there than it is here so probably quite uncomfortable to do so for some, if anything here wearing a helmet would keep your head warm!

Well if it was a mile or two to the shops, can't be bothered to lug a helmet round could well put me off, as would a hot day.
But as you say, it's only in hot countries like Australia and Ontario that it would put anyone off. Ontario is really hot isn't it ?

... or the case in Australia where the Police charged a woman with cycling without a helmet?

The Judge agreed with her that there was a sufficient pool of evidence that helmets can cause injury and therefore choosing not to wear one was reasonable, dismissing the charge?

Big Nick

No laws have ever been repealed due to civil disobedience then? Oh, I forgot, you're a copper aren't you? Have to do as you're told.
What I do for a living is neither here nor there and has no bearing just as whatever you do doesn't either on this issue.

The fact you resort to it cheapens your commentary on this thread.

Civil disobedience is a dangerous road I would suggest and not the way forward

What I do for a living is neither here nor there and has no bearing just as whatever you do doesn't either on this issue.

The fact you resort to it cheapens your commentary on this thread.

Civil disobedience is a dangerous road I would suggest and not the way forward

Not as dangerous as lying and misrepresenting the case to a legislative body, and them failing to look at the real facts.

Big Nick

If, supposing, our government were to bring in a well meaning but foolish law mandating helmets, what should people do then?
They'll be people who disagree with a lot of current laws for one reason or another but they either comply or face the punishment I would imagine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom