New helmet law in Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrWill

Must be an epidemic of kids dieing from falling from 2 ft at 8mph...

What amuses me yet again is how the argument for helmets is so strong that the campaigners have lied and misled the legislature

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I've really enjoyed two holidays in Jersey, and pumped some money into the already full local economy, but I won't be going again, even though I'm several decades too old to be affected by the new law.
....and how long will it be before it's extended to all cyclists?

sidevalve

Über Member
I'm sorry to point this out [yes again] but compulsion will come and no amount of "infringement of our rights" or cycling's not dangerous or it's always someone else's fault [sadly that is a common one] or the evidence is flawed crying and wailing will make any difference. I ride a m/cycle - I MUST wear a helmet, I drive a car I MUST wear a seatbelt. It's a simple way for our masters [no not servants anymore] to be seen to be doing something to "protect" the population.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm sorry to point this out [yes again] but compulsion will come and no amount of "infringement of our rights" or cycling's not dangerous or it's always someone else's fault [sadly that is a common one] or the evidence is flawed crying and wailing will make any difference. I ride a m/cycle - I MUST wear a helmet, I drive a car I MUST wear a seatbelt. It's a simple way for our masters [no not servants anymore] to be seen to be doing something to "protect" the population.

Sadly I think you may be right - someone here coined the phrase "policy based evidence" - which will surely be found. Although the Tories profess to "rolling back the state" in such matters they rarely do so, and the left and especially (ironically so-called) liberals love more rules - and as a left-leaning chappie it gives me no pleasure to say it.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
How much diifference would compulsion make here? Australia demonstrated a decrease in rider numbers following compulsion, but what was the non wearing/wearing split beforehand? The vast majority of cyclists I see wear helmets, but i dont live in an area which has high numbers of cyclists. So whilst I dont want compulsion, if it were introduced it wouldnt stop me riding my bike.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm sorry to point this out [yes again] but compulsion will come and no amount of "infringement of our rights" or cycling's not dangerous or it's always someone else's fault [sadly that is a common one] or the evidence is flawed crying and wailing will make any difference.

No, it won't.

You can't compare either

i) the relative legislative climates in Jersey and the UK

or

ii) the arguments for/against motorcyclists wearing helmets with those for/against cyclists wearing them

albion

Guru
The funny thing about Jersey is that it is ideally sized to be able to ban all cars.
They could easily switch to electric 100%, that even giving a unique and massive boost to tourism.

I feel sorry for the minority Jersey born working class who always have to accede to the islands tax dodger paymasters.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
And here's the latest euroncap 5 star rated car:
euroncap.png

(They don't do crash testing for cyclists so we'll have to make do with pedestrian figures. It indicates to me how our conceptions of safety are completely skewed. The car, a VW Golf Sportsvan, gets its 5-star rating because it scores highly for adult occupants [87%], child occupants [85%] and safety assist [73%] and nobody seems to notice the lowest score [62%]. The other people.

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-27_10-10-56.png
    upload_2014-7-27_10-10-56.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 46

Big Nick

You have made that clear before, no need for the cheap trolling though.
I've never been described as cheap before.....

Far from trolling it was meant as 'not another helmet thread with its heated extremism at both ends of the scale' hence the exclamation marks and the 'incoming' remark

Perhaps its a bit early in the morning for you Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom