New helmet law in Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They can dress up the rationale to say what they want, if they even bother giving reasons why, it's called 'spin'

I'm sure they could drag out as many safety campaign spokespeople and neurosurgeons as they liked to back a compulsory argument if they really could be bothered, I doubt the anti lobby would get much of a look in

I assume you're referring to the anti-compulsion lobby? I suspect you'd be right. The only voice the anti-compultionists will have is after the event, when we refuse to pay the fines and try to get the message heard via civil disobedience.

But i doubt that will ever happen. What's more likely is they'll present a 'cycle safety bill' which includes a range of measures including helmet compulsion for all cyclists. Then by way of compromise, they'll put an age limit on helmet compulsion so only the kids have to wear one... and it'll probably get through since they met the anti-compulsionists half way. No parent would ever be fined or charged for letting their kids play on a bike without a helmet, unless they're hit by a car... then they'll be named and shamed for putting a child at risk, with lots of emotive images of an injured child that are more puke inducing than Pudsey feckin Bear.

Big Nick

So you wear a helmet in case you trip on a loose paving stone....
No but I wear one on my motorbikes

Why not though?

After all it is common sense that something between your head and what is hitting it will absorb some of the force coming my way, leaving my head in a better position than if nothing had been there?

Given that cycling head injuries don't even register as a major factor in cohort studies of hospital admissions, it seems weird to wear a helmet for the less frequent occasions, but not prevent the more common head injuries.

It just seems that we are back at the stage where the emotive tripe has a place in the argument?

than spend the rest of my life dribbling down chin & staring into space & family wishing i had worn one.

Do pedestrians with head injuries dribble less than cyclists?

Do pedestrians staring into space have greater acuity than cyclists

This is the big one... why is everyone interested in preventing cycle head injuries, but accepts the same injures and consequences in pedestrians and other groups

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I assume you're referring to the anti-compulsion lobby? I suspect you'd be right. The only voice the anti-compultionists will have is after the event, when we refuse to pay the fines and try to get the message heard via civil disobedience.

But i doubt that will ever happen. What's more likely is they'll present a 'cycle safety bill' which includes a range of measures including helmet compulsion for all cyclists. Then by way of compromise, they'll put an age limit on helmet compulsion so only the kids have to wear one... and it'll probably get through since they met the anti-compulsionists half way. No parent would ever be fined or charged for letting their kids play on a bike without a helmet, unless they're hit by a car... then they'll be named and shamed for putting a child at risk, with lots of emotive images of an injured child that are more puke inducing than Pudsey feckin Bear.
And TRL (Transport Research Laboratory - the guys who rubber-stamped the Jersey report, no doubt paid for by Jersey) are currently working for TfL.

Big Nick

Why not though?

After all it is common sense that something between your head and what is hitting it will absorb some of the force coming my way, leaving my head in a better position than if nothing had been there?

Given that cycling head injuries don't even register as a major factor in cohort studies of hospital admissions, it seems weird to wear a helmet for the less frequent occasions, but not prevent the more common head injuries.

It just seems that we are back at the stage where the emotive tripe has a place in the argument?

I don't walk at 15-20mph

I couldn't care less about the hospital admissions of other people to be honest even if there's only a one in a hundred who land on their head knowing my luck I'd be that one.

it's my perception of risk that makes me wear protective equipment. I also wear gloves, knee and elbow guards when mountain biking and body armour in my motorcycle clothing.

It's not 'emotive tripe' to me as I've crashed on cycles and motorcycles and in every case was glad I had the safety kit I had on

Big Nick

Yes, OK. You still haven't explained why you think all that means I should be compelled to do the same as you, as you asserted on the first page of this thread:

And you wonder why people think you might just be trolling!
You missed it then, what a pity

Different helmet, different testing requirements, very different capabilities in preventing injury and maybe death. You think cycle and motorcycles can do the same job?

MontyVeda

it's my perception of risk that makes me wear protective equipment. I also wear gloves, knee and elbow guards when mountain biking and body armour in my motorcycle clothing.

It's not 'emotive tripe' to me as I've crashed on cycles and motorcycles and in every case was glad I had the safety kit I had on
That's just it Big Nick... you've done a quick risk assessment and decided which activities require some form of PPE. I don't wear safety goggles when using my power drill but i do when using my Dremil type thing. If i went climbing in the Lake District I'd wear a climbing helmet, but not if i went walking in the Lake District when I'd be marginally likely to lose my footing, slip and tumble in the direction of a pointy rock. It's not emotive tripe at all, it's just we all assess risks differently... if i was to go mountain biking I'd be kitted out like you are, but not for ten minutes down the shared use path or even a five hour jaunt along the country lanes.

MontyVeda

i tried to explain how it might happen in my post at the top of this that page, if similar legislation is rolled out in Blighty. What do you think @User , on how legislation in Jersey might affect the UK?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3201277, member: 45"]So, we've stopped talking about whether compulsion for children in Jersey will lead to compulsion for adults in the UK, and instead everyone is just rolling out their dog-eared scripts...[/QUOTE]
No, I don't think my participation on this thread has been dog-eared script reading. I thought that, instead of an Israel/Palestine debate on irreconcilable oppositions, it would be more constructive to approach things from a different angle. Wasted on you, apparently.

Big Nick

I have, and I don't see any explanation for your enthusiasm for imposing your odd beliefs on the rest of us. You might think this is a joke, along with your little friend Beano, but it's not a joke to me and to many other people.
My odd beliefs?

Would those be the helmet wearing ones (even though it's completely pointless according to you) shared by around 95% of cyclists I pass by on my local roads?

The rest of us?

Again you insinuate a contrary point of view to yours should be outlawed and this thread was for people to agree with you or...what was it...'go away'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom