New helmet with crash replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am in the market for a new helmet. I have had an off today and my helmet bounced on the road and then slid on black ice. I have a bashed hip and elbow a little roadrash but other then feeling stiff doing ok.

There are no visible signs of damage but I do not want to take the chance so I am in the market for a new helmet.

I currently have a specialized one and know I can get a new one at a discount from them via the local bike shop.

I also know Kask, Bel, Giro are all doing good deals on 2015 models. Can I trade in my specialized for say a Giro or is it manufacture specific? I have never had to do this before!

Its usually like for like but separate to a crash replacement scheme occasionally KASK do a trade in scheme where you can trade in any old helmet (Spez, Bell, Giro etc) and get a half price KASK.

The replacement programmes work two ways.

You get the benefit of a reduced price helmet
The Company gets to assess how their product performed in real life

Giro are not interested in how a Specialized design functioned, and with no benefit will not discount the replacement

winjim

Smash the cistern

Giro are not interested in how a Specialized design functioned, and with no benefit will not discount the replacement
I would have thought that companies would be extremely interested in the performance of their competitors' products. Would that not be as useful as assessing their own?

U

User33236

Zyro, who manage Giro crash replacement in the UK only wanted a photo of the damaged helmet and some brief details of the accident. From the quick camera phone snap I sent them I'm not sure they or the manufacturer will learn a great deal.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I am in the market for a new helmet. I have had an off today and my helmet bounced on the road and then slid on black ice. I have a bashed hip and elbow a little roadrash but other then feeling stiff doing ok.

There are no visible signs of damage but I do not want to take the chance so I am in the market for a new helmet.

I currently have a specialized one and know I can get a new one at a discount from them via the local bike shop.

I also know Kask, Bel, Giro are all doing good deals on 2015 models. Can I trade in my specialized for say a Giro or is it manufacture specific? I have never had to do this before!

When you say your helmet bounced on the road,was your head still in it or had the helmet come off before you hit the ground?

Top Bottom