New Indicator System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Mentioning hand signals - when I took my driving test, you still had to do hand signals. Anybody remember them?
I still occasionally use hand signals when I turn right into our drive or similar scenarios when I've indicated to pass a line of parked cars and then need to additionally turn right into a drive etc.

I still use the straight ahead signal at a particular junction near me, and when traffic's being directed by police.

alicat

Legendary Member
What about turning left?

I don't care about that because they aren't overtaking me on the side I am turning towards.

when I've indicated to pass a line of parked cars

I do wish people wouldn't indicate to pass a parked vehicle: it's not like it adds any useful information. In fact, y closest brush with the grim reaper came because of someone indicating in those circs and someone starting to reverse out of their drive because they thought driver 1 was turning right. Driver 1 stopped and suddenly my descent of Kippax Hill was blocked.

thisimage-jpg.jpg

That one is really bad. It seems closest to this

road-construction-keep-right-picture-id172975722.jpg

which is a sign directing drivers to move to the right of it. An arrow like that could have the opposite effect as intended.

Reactions: mjr
Dear All,

I am currently in the process of designing a new bike signalling system. I was wondering if anyone has any comments/ideas on this, with any possible requirements, downsides etc etc. Thank you for being part of my research.

Regards,
Charlie
Hi,
I thought about it a while back. I have some ideas but I'm not sure how it can be done from the engineering side.
I know signaling can be useful specially at night/ short winter days.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Hi,
I thought about it a while back. I have some ideas but I'm not sure how it can be done from the engineering side.
How do you know?

Hi,
No it can’t but I’d be interested in your views as to why it is?

Have you ever heard of Blaze? The laser TFL. has installed on lots of Santander bikes (formerly AKA. Boris bikes).
I'm curious about your thoughts on that product.
Yes I’ve seen them as I ride regularly in London. The main problem here is that I am 6’2” with lights from and rear. Just today a minibus was overtaking me, realised there was oncoming traffic and veered towards me. I shouted, he pulled back.

This was during daylight. I was visible in the passenger door. He pulled out to overtake me 10s prior. So what happened?

He didn’t look or didn’t care. If I had green lights glowing 5m ahead of me would have made no difference.

It makes little odd his much you light up. The problems occur when drivers don’t look or don’t care.

No here’s a thing. I used to indicate hand signal turning left. After countless times drivers decided to race me to the corner or overtake me on the turn I gave up. Now I don’t indicate and guess what? Almost zero turning overtakes. A sample of one granted, but plenty of others in this thread telling you the same thing. The driver behind is delayed by 2s. I am less likely to be killed. Sounds like a fair deal.

Sorry but indicators are a stupid idea. At best they’re useless, at worst they add to the danger. If a driver is watching it won’t make any difference. If they’re not watching it won’t make any difference.

My guess based on your question is that you have an indicator that shines on the road. A car behind (the one that’s most likely to hit you) won’t see it. If you want to indicate would you rely on it? Bad idea if you do. If you supplement it with a hand signal then why bother with the light? Waste...of...time.

Now, my question to you, how many miles a year do you cycle? And how do you think it compares to the thousands and thousands of yearly miles the other thread contributors here have who pretty much all say it’s a waste of time?

Last edited:
Top Bottom