New Indicator System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes I’ve seen them as I ride regularly in London. The main problem here is that I am 6’2” with lights from and rear. Just today a minibus was overtaking me, realised there was oncoming traffic and veered towards me. I shouted, he pulled back.

This was during daylight. I was visible in the passenger door. He pulled out to overtake me 10s prior. So what happened?

He didn’t look or didn’t care. If I had green lights glowing 5m ahead of me would have made no difference.

It makes little odd his much you light up. The problems occur when drivers don’t look or don’t care.

No here’s a thing. I used to indicate hand signal turning left. After countless times drivers decided to race me to the corner or overtake me on the turn I gave up. Now I don’t indicate and guess what? Almost zero turning overtakes. A sample of one granted, but plenty of others in this thread telling you the same thing. The driver behind is delayed by 2s. I am less likely to be killed. Sounds like a fair deal.

Now, my quests to you, how many miles a year do you cycle?
I personally don't cycle. I ride a scooter and I witnessed plenty of near misses and actual crushes on both sides, cyclists and motorcyclists.
I don't cycle because I find it to be hair raising (it takes guts to cycle in London), at least with a scooter you can keep up with traffic and not be as vulnerable as a cyclists.

Brandane

Legendary Member
No here’s a thing. I used to indicate hand signal turning left. After countless times drivers decided to race me to the corner or overtake me on the turn I gave up. Now I don’t indicate and guess what? Almost zero turning overtakes. A sample of one granted, but plenty of others in this thread telling you the same thing. The driver behind is delayed by 2s. I am less likely to be killed. Sounds like a fair deal.
Or worse still; you use the left indicator light to make a turn, but forget to switch it off before the next junction to your left (I'm assuming this wonderful system doesn't self cancel). Some nobber in a car tries to race you to the left turn, he turns left, but you don't.........

I personally don't cycle. I ride a scooter and I witnessed plenty of near misses and actual crushes on both sides, cyclists and motorcyclists.
I don't cycle because I find it to be hair raising (it takes guts to cycle in London), at least with a scooter you can keep up with traffic and not be as vulnerable as a cyclists.
Ah ok. Then I’d suggest you do a few thousand miles then come back to me with your suggestions. Until then, with all due respect, you have no idea.

Ps you’re more likely to be killed on a motorbike than on a bicycle. Maybe I should join a motorbike forum and advise you all how to ride better. Obviously nevevhaven ridden a motorbike means very little. I drive thousands of miles a year so that means I have a good idea of what you’re all doing wrong. Ooh, I have a good one, you should all wear seat belts like car drives.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

Having cycled fairly regularly in London over the last 50 odd years, I don't find it at all hair-raising.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Having cycled and cycle commuted in London for 35+ years, I witness untold amount of bad driving, near misses and bad road manners from scooterists every single day. It's people on scooters that are a menace not cyclists.
A scooterist like yourself who never cycles, I think you need to concentrate on getting your own house in order first.

Ah ok. Then I’d suggest you do a few thousand miles then come back to me with your suggestions. Until then, with all due respect, you have no idea.

Ps you’re more likely to be killed on a motorbike than on a bicycle. Maybe I should join a motorbike forum and advise you all how to ride better. Obviously nevevhaven ridden a motorbike means very little. I drive thousands of miles a year so that means I have a good idea of what you’re all doing wrong. Ooh, I have a good one, you should all wear seat belts like car drives.
Sorry but you got me wrong. I’m not here to advise anyone how to cycle better. I can sense a lot anger here (drivers, pedestrians, etc). I don’t cycle therefore I’ve got no clue about cycling? Wow

Sorry but you got me wrong. I’m not here to advise anyone how to cycle better. I can sense a lot anger here (drivers, pedestrians, etc). I don’t cycle therefore I’ve got no clue about cycling? Wow
Really, do get a seat belt added to your bike. It’ll help. I don’t ride motorbikes but it’s obvious to me. I use one when driving and it saves lives.

Having cycled and cycle commuted in London for 35+ years, I witness untold amount of bad driving, near misses and bad road manners from scooterists every single day. It's people on scooters that are a menace not cyclists.
A scooterist like yourself who never cycles, I think you need to concentrate on getting your own house in order first.
Hi. I’ve never said cyclists are a menace.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hi. I’ve never said cyclists are a menace.

Some are.

512H0NK5CYL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Really, do get a seat belt added to your bike. It’ll help. I don’t ride motorbikes but it’s obvious to me. I use one when driving and it saves lives.
I thought you cycled. At least give a proper example. Cycling and riding motorcycles have more in common than driving and riding a motorcycle. Absolutely silly.
I’m sorry I asked your opinion on laser lights. I totally lacked judgement on approaching you.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've seen plenty of cyclists stuck between both lanes trying to turn right.

That's a problem that would be better addressed by proper training through, say, Bikeability.

I personally don't cycle.

You ride a powered two-wheeler, not a bicycle. Please don't make the mistake of thinking that gives you an insight to the challenges faced by, and the riding styles necessary in, city cycling.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've seen plenty of cyclists stuck between both lanes trying to turn right. Drivers see them way too late to slow down and give way.
That sounds like poor road positioning on the part of the cyclists to me.

And you may hypothesise that a signalling system would help, but on that evidence, you don't know it. This is the research subforum, we should try and apply a little scientific thinking at least, don't you think?

That's a problem that would be better addressed by proper training through, say, Bikeability.

You ride a powered two-wheeler, not a bicycle. Please don't make the mistake of thinking that gives you an insight to the challenges faced by, and the riding styles necessary in, city cycling.
I totally agree with you. However, most cyclist seem to do that with drivers. They fail to take on board the phycological changes on humans when they’re on high powered vehicles, The limited visibility and so on.

Top Bottom