New Jockey Wheels Rattling Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Bought some new TACX jockey wheels (the grey ones with stainless steel bearings) and fitted them to the RD. When in large front ring and last few larger cogs on the cassette and small front ring and last few smaller cogs, the chain or derailleur makes a noise, as if the chain wants to jump up or down the cassette. Limits and indexing are fine.

Could it simply be that the chain is older than the brand new jockey wheels and it doesn't like the new teeth on the jockeys, thus, causing this noise? Didn't notice it at all with the old stock Shimano jockeys.

Disgarding the possibility of cross chaining, which I don't do, although I may sometimes use the last but one or two cogs on the cassette on the odd occasion when in either front chainring. I reiterate that the old Shimano jockey wheels didn't make this rattling sound, even when going through the full range of the cassette when on a repair stand setting up indexing, limits, cable tension, derailleur hanger alignment etc.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Check chain as you suspect.
They may get quieter after a few miles as the sharp edge on the teeth wear

U

User6179

Bought some new TACX jockey wheels (the grey ones with stainless steel bearings) and fitted them to the RD. When in large front ring and last few larger cogs on the cassette and small front ring and last few smaller cogs, the chain or derailleur makes a noise, as if the chain wants to jump up or down the cassette. Limits and indexing are fine.

Could it simply be that the chain is older than the brand new jockey wheels and it doesn't like the new teeth on the jockeys, thus, causing this noise? Didn't notice it at all with the old stock Shimano jockeys.

Disgarding the possibility of cross chaining, which I don't do, although I may sometimes use the last but one or two cogs on the cassette on the odd occasion when in either front chainring. I reiterate that the old Shimano jockey wheels didn't make this rattling sound, even when going through the full range of the cassette when on a repair stand setting up indexing, limits, cable tension, derailleur hanger alignment etc.

Have you put the jockey wheels on the wrong way maybe, top jockey should be able to move from side to side, bottom one is fixed .

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
[QUOTE 5255347, member: 9609"]if the noise is the chain touching the hanger then try turning the jockey wheel around (so the inside is now on the outside) I have known them being just a little off centre.
Also just take the thing to bits and reassemble it may well sort it out :wacko: it sometimes works.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I'll try a bit of that :smile:

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Is the upper jockey wheel contacting the cassette. Your new jockey wheels may be slightly larger than the originals,there should be a small gap .If not the b screw may need adjusting.If so screw b screw clockwise to in increse the clearance.

B screw is all the way in and there is clearance between cassette teeth and jockey wheel teeth. I've checked all these usual suspects, but still to no avail.

As you suggest, the new jockey wheels may be a tad larger than the old. The gap is sufficient of around 5-6mm. Maybe just 'one of those things', annoying as it is.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Perhaps the new jockey wheels have less free play in them and the derailleur cable may just need a slight adjustment to center the chain maybe not noticed with worn jockey wheels but not with new ones it shows up hopefully a slight adjustment and you will be ready for the summer.

Top Bottom