New kitchen time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
I'm ripping out the old kitchen in our new place.

I've fitted B&Q kitchens in the past, not bad really, but backup hopeless. Homebase years ago were pretty good too. Wickes I've seen some dodgy carcasses from them.

As we have a trade account our last two kitchens have been from Howdens, put they are starting to get pricey these days and the range seems limited.

DIY Kitchens and Magnet seem to get the "best reviews". Anyone have any experience of these or other off the shelf kitchens.

Thanks

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
We used Wren Kitchens. The units have been fine, but we choose to use their fitting service, which was terrible. Going to buy a few more units from them, but will arrange fitting ourselves.

The worktops were done by J.Rotherham and they did provide an excellent fitting service.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What I did when refitting a new kitchen a few years back was use the planning services of I think it was B&Q. Most carcasses from the big sheds are similar if not the same. Then assembled the units.

The problem DIYers have is with joining the worktops, you won't have the correct tools or expertise. I employed a team of kitchen fitters who did and they did an excellent job. They also fitted all the units and tops. The rest I could do myself. They changed me £250 a day, two days work, so £500. This was a while ago so I guess rates have gone up.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine came from Wickes, maybe 5 years ago, no complaints (they provided the fitter who was also excellent). They're bound to have an Easter sale on if you can wait (although presumably you can get trade prices there too?)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ex friends of ours had massive issues with Howdens and the 'fitter' they employed, but it's likely their fault - huge price mix ups.

They are ex. friends - the missus was a nightmare, so can believe the 'fitter' rather than the ex-friend.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'm ripping out the old kitchen in our new place.

I've fitted B&Q kitchens in the past, not bad really, but backup hopeless. Homebase years ago were pretty good too. Wickes I've seen some dodgy carcasses from them.

As we have a trade account our last two kitchens have been from Howdens, put they are starting to get pricey these days and the range seems limited.

DIY Kitchens and Magnet seem to get the "best reviews". Anyone have any experience of these or other off the shelf kitchens.

Thanks
Magnet Kitchens are the ones the builders and developers use round here- that speaks volumes!

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Thanks All,

I've fitted a couple of kitchens in the past, but this time I'll use our carpenter contact.

Not so young these days and I'd rather be....... 🎣

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Magnet Kitchens are the ones the builders and developers use round here- that speaks volumes!

Same down here, bigger firms use Magnet, probably get big discounts, smaller developers use Howdens.

Howdens don't seem to be so good these days, even with so called "trade discounts".

Last edited:
Unless you are spending huge money on the units there is not a great deal of difference in quality between most manufacturers/suppliers.

The most important thing is the skill of the fitter so don't try and cut corners on that. Also buy the best hardware you can afford to finish it off.

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Unless you are spending huge money on the units there is not a great deal of difference in quality between most manufacturers/suppliers.

The most important thing is the skill of the fitter so don't try and cut corners on that. Also buy the best hardware you can afford to finish it off.

True, our carpenter contact / friend is one of the best you'll find.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Whatever you do don't use one of the small independent suppliers, make sure you use Wickes, Wren, Howdens, Magnets, Homebase or B&Q and drive the small shops out of business! :okay:

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Whatever you do don't use one of the small independent suppliers, make sure you use Wickes, Wren, Howdens, Magnets, Homebase or B&Q and drive the small shops out of business! :okay:

Our local kitchen supplier only do a full package, they won't do supply only.

Top Bottom