New kitchen time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Thanks @Milkfloat good information. It's always best to hear things from actual users of a product.:okay: I'll check out Benchmarx.

Money is tight on this project as it's a full refurb of the property including kitchen, bathroom, en suite etc.

johnblack

Über Member
I've heard that Ikea are good for the money.

One thing that seems to pop up in their reviews is that the units don't have a services gap at the back of the units, but the units are deeper because of this and they hook onto a rail.
That's right, the gap at the back is narrower, if your pipes run flush against the wall at skirting level it isn't a problem and you can just cut a hole in the back board for access to stopcocks and connectors etc. They come round and do a survey before they start the fit to check the plan and also check that the services are all ok, the company that fitted ours came the day before fitting started to change a couple of pipes that wouldn't quite fit, it was an extra charge so you could do it yourself, get a mate in to do it if you'd rather.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I really can't fault IKEA base unit drawers. I've used them in my workshops to store tools and fixings for the last twenty years. I regularly put 15 kg of tools in each drawer of a four/five drawer base unit and they have always worked perfectly.

BTW, IKEA always scores well in the Which? kitchen reviews.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I used Wren back in November 2018. Absolutely faultless with supply and ordering. J.Rotherham also supplied & fitted our custom worktops, and they too were faultless. I used a local builder who had installed our triple glazing units previously to fit the kitchen.

Adam4868

Guru
I bought my kitchen and fitted it myself from Howdens,I got a few quotes and computer images from different suppliers and then had prices to go on.Forget the first quotes,they'll allways go lower and beat their competitors.In the end got a good price.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used Wren back in November 2018. Absolutely faultless with supply and ordering. J.Rotherham also supplied & fitted our custom worktops, and they too were faultless. I used a local builder who had installed our triple glazing units previously to fit the kitchen.

Must be nice opening a cupboard and seeing the garden:whistle:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
In our last house i fitted kitchen units from Ikea. Was good solid units. Just a bit of a faf finding all the fittings in the warehouse. Would do the same again if we ever need a new kitchen.

Adam4868

Guru
In our last house i fitted kitchen units from Ikea. Was good solid units. Just a bit of a faf finding all the fittings in the warehouse. Would do the same again if we ever need a new kitchen.
Partner wanted a Ikea kitchen but last time I fitted one in the old house I remember what a fecker it was with the plumbing.No room behind and had to move pipework.I don't know if they've changed at all ? There was no recess behind base units.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Mine is being fitted at the minute. The same company who did the last fit in 1992. Turns out both the fitter & the electrician are still working for the company and remember doing the last fit.

Last one was good quality & a good job & I'm expecting the same this time.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Partner wanted a Ikea kitchen but last time I fitted one in the old house I remember what a fecker it was with the plumbing.No room behind and had to move pipework.I don't know if they've changed at all ? There was no recess behind base units.
Yes you are right, the only one that was awkward was the sink unit, i ended up putting in a false back, But the quality of the units is very good.:okay:

Top Bottom