New lane arrangement on Broad Street, Salford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
Hehe - that was me talking to you at the lights!

It's a nightmare at the moment isn't it? It's not too bad for me most days because there's more traffic and it's going at a much slower pace. Have you noticed the set of traffic lights that are not being used yet, just where we need to change lanes? With the position of the give way markings on the road, I wonder whether this will be some kind of filter for buses and cyclists crossing the two lanes to go straight on? I hope so!

its stupid in cars let alone trying to do it in bikes...

there IS a stupid cycle lane from the end of the pendlebury(well bolton road off broad st) bit, under the roundabout but it's lame which is a shame because they have the space to make a really good one :smile:

wierdly , it ends here... http://maps.google.c...298.19,,0,13.36

its crap, but you avoid that cut across i suppose..... i just hated it though when i was last cycling round there though so anywhere less busy was good!...

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Hehe - that was me talking to you at the lights!
Ah, hi Tubbs. Nice to talk to you.

Have you noticed the set of traffic lights that are not being used yet, just where we need to change lanes? With the position of the give way markings on the road, I wonder whether this will be some kind of filter for buses and cyclists crossing the two lanes to go straight on? I hope so!
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. It certainly looks that way. If so, then I'll take it all back; I guess they haven't finished yet.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

its stupid in cars let alone trying to do it in bikes...

there IS a stupid cycle lane from the end of the pendlebury(well bolton road off broad st) bit, under the roundabout but it's lame which is a shame because they have the space to make a really good one :smile:

wierdly , it ends here... http://maps.google.c...298.19,,0,13.36

its crap, but you avoid that cut across i suppose..... i just hated it though when i was last cycling round there though so anywhere less busy was good!...
Ah. I certainly avoid all those pathetic shared footpaths with barriers across them. There was a time when I used to go through that lot, but I felt a lot more uncomfortable that I ever do on the roads, especially in the winter when it's dark. Then I discovered the simplicity of just going down Langworthy Road and Eccles Old Road, including a nice fast ride through the underpass on there. It was all this that started me thinking how stupid segregation is in an urban setting (with the odd exception of course).

davefb

Guru
Don't mind segregation if it's nicely maintained and a long straight run :smile:. After all a lot of areas round there have essentially segregated local roads to the side of the main ones , if it can be done for roads, why not make it so you can cycle down without having to stop every 50feet :smile:

Theres loads of room to keep the 580 going to the ring road/trinity way, without the hodge podge they've done though..

and of course my main gripe about the 580 work was that it moved traffic to the quieter roads where I was either driving to avoid traffic or cycling on :smile:.. The plan even mentions how it will all work, because the traffic will just go elsewhere,,, brilliant, so onto roads which have lower capacity!

I dunno, its so depressing that after all that work, its just yet again lip service to cycling, I'll assume there'll be a big PR stunt about 20 feet of nice cycling route in a few weeks.... sheeshh

Tubbs

Ah, hi Tubbs. Nice to talk to you.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. It certainly looks that way. If so, then I'll take it all back; I guess they haven't finished yet.

I remember you were trying to overtake a couple of times on the Height - but there was too much traffic so not enough room. As soon as we turned onto the bus lane you whipped past me and I put everything into keeping up with you. That's why I ended up behind you at the lights!

The route, once past McDonalds, is actually a lot better. The road surface is fantastic now and there is so much more room! I hope I'm right about the lights and I also hope they have a plan for Chapel Street, which is the biggest pain at the moment. There's not many of us who stick to road here, because there's just not enough room to filter.

Will have to put my lippy on in future now I know there's a cameraman on my route in the morning! :smile: I noticed your from Bolton, how far is your commute? I only join in from Kearsley into the City Centre and that's just over 7.5 miles each way. Never a dull moment!

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

I remember you were trying to overtake a couple of times on the Height - but there was too much traffic so not enough room. As soon as we turned onto the bus lane you whipped past me and I put everything into keeping up with you. That's why I ended up behind you at the lights!
Ha ha. I'm not really that fast, but I do love to push it going down the underpass. It's near the end of my ride, so I can afford to put some effort in. :smile:

The route, once past McDonalds, is actually a lot better. The road surface is fantastic now and there is so much more room! I hope I'm right about the lights and I also hope they have a plan for Chapel Street, which is the biggest pain at the moment. There's not many of us who stick to road here, because there's just not enough room to filter.
I'm away on holiday at the moment, so will be interested to see what they've done when I return. I think the intention is to improve the route all the way down to Manchester. I don't like some of the decisions they have made, though.

Will have to put my lippy on in future now I know there's a cameraman on my route in the morning! :smile: I noticed your from Bolton, how far is your commute? I only join in from Kearsley into the City Centre and that's just over 7.5 miles each way. Never a dull moment!
Well, you looked nice enough to me (if you don't mind me saying :blush:). I have 12.5 miles each way. I don't envy you that last bit at the moment.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

I take it all back. Now they've commissioned the new traffic lights and bus/cycle filter lane, it's great! They've actually done something really sensible.

There is a traffic light covering all but the Bus/Cycle lane, which has a filter and give way instead. If you set off from the previous set of lights at a reasonable speed, the lights are phased so that the filter lights change to red by the time you get there, and you can cross the two busy lanes with no traffic. You still have to watch out for red light jumping vehicles, but other than that it works well.

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZamZfLXReQ[/media]

Parrot of Doom

That looks sensible enough. A couple of observations, one, I used to use this road in my college days (early 90s) and cycling eastbound, I'd go on the pavement (there was no bus lane then). Westbound, I'd use the bus lane.

Two, not many people are aware of this but the Manchester, Bolton & Bury Canal goes under that road. Although the route there is built over and filled in, it runs north-south along this road and then parallel to the railway. You can see the first rebuilt section further east, between Oldfield Road and the Irwell. If it ever gets restored (and interest is certainly high, the route is now fully protected), that will provide a very nice alternative route into Salford.

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

Two, not many people are aware of this but the Manchester, Bolton & Bury Canal goes under that road. Although the route there is built over and filled in, it runs north-south along this road and then parallel to the railway. You can see the first rebuilt section further east, between Oldfield Road and the Irwell. If it ever gets restored (and interest is certainly high, the route is now fully protected), that will provide a very nice alternative route into Salford.
Indeed. It may one day provide a nice route for me to take a nice relaxed ride out to look at the place where I used to work before I retired. :smile:

Tubbs

So happy I was right about the new lights - I've had five (yes five!!) weeks off cycling after having a holiday and an operation. Started back cycling on Tuesday this week and I have to say - the new arrangement makes like so much easier! All I need now is for the rest of Chapel Street to be fixed! Very pleased with this though, definitely a step in the right direction. :-)

OP
OP
MrHappyCyclist

MrHappyCyclist

So happy I was right about the new lights - I've had five (yes five!!) weeks off cycling after having a holiday and an operation. Started back cycling on Tuesday this week and I have to say - the new arrangement makes like so much easier! All I need now is for the rest of Chapel Street to be fixed! Very pleased with this though, definitely a step in the right direction. :-)
Welcome back then. Hope the operation was OK. Yes, you were right; it's great isn't it. (Although it didn't change to red for me this morning - hopefully just a one-off.)

al78

Guru
I'll be up in Salford visiting family at the end of October and use that road to get from Piccadilly Station to the Height. Normally I just use the bus lane up to just past the Pendleton roundabout then bear left and onto Bolton Road. Has anything changed along there since Easter that might cause me difficulties?

Top Bottom