New lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Have arrived! Treated myself to a couple of Cateye HL-EL530 (total a sniff over £60 for the pair at Cycle Express: should retail for £45 *each*). Just arrived in the post. Gosh, they are seriously bright. Excellent. Bring on the night time cycling!

Mr Phoebus

"Blinded by the light, cut loose like a deuce, another pootler in the night." :rolleyes:

You're Waffly versatile.

Mr Phoebus

Might be interesting seeing the satellite photos of them in action. :rolleyes:

And Waffles said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. (lots 'n' lots)

Tynan

Veteran
I spoke slightly sharply to someone wheeling their bike on the platform at Liverpool Street a few weeks ago, the front LED was so bright it was actually painful when I happened to look up at it, I was distinctly unimpressed

Chris James

Über Member
Just don't drop it on the floor / bang it. On the old Cycling Plus forum there was a spate of complaints about Cateyes stopping working when they had a knock. I dropped my El-530 on the floor and had to bin it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Chris James said:
Just don't drop it on the floor / bang it. On the old Cycling Plus forum there was a spate of complaints about Cateyes stopping working when they had a knock. I dropped my El-530 on the floor and had to bin it.

I don't know about the El-530 but I have bounced a El-220 off the road and it still works.

Joe

Über Member
My EL-530 broke too. I did drop it once but it worked perfectly until about three months later, when it died for seemingly no reason. And yes, I tried changing the batteries ;)
I sent it back to cyclexpress but have heard nothing yet, I should email them actually!

Joe

Über Member
No need actually! A brand new one came through the door this morning :ohmy:
Pretty good service from cyclexpress really.

And as I didn't send the brackets or anything back I now have two sets and can switch the light between bikes! ;)

Chris James

Über Member
Maybe I should have sent mine back instead of slinging it? To be honest I lost confidence in the design as it appears very damage prone and I didn't like the mounting either. I also live in the countryside, amongst very potholed unlit roads, and didn't think it was QUITE up to the job. Shame though as it was a good torch!

I don't think I'll buy a Cateye LED front light again, although I like my back one.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

I've used Cateye HL-EL300s up to now, for at least two years on potholed country roads - had no problems whatsoever with the mountings of the lights - or the lights.

Top Bottom