New moles appearing on skin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mm87

Hi, I didn't really know if I should post this thread here, but being Cycling related (sort of) i was interested to know if anyone has noticed any moles appearing on their skin with the vast amount of sun exposure us cyclists have during the summer, is it anything to worry about?

Last year I spent hours a day on the bike all through spring and summer, stupidly never used any suncream because I found it uncomfortable with sweating etc, plus I have olive skin so I don't tend to burn.....I just turned very brown! Lol.

This year I haven't been out on the bike much at all due to some fatigue issues (burnout) I'm trying to deal with and my skin is now quite pale since I've been mostly indoors. What I've noticed though is I've developed 4-5 extra moles on each arm (had only a few before this), even one has appeared on my calf which I thought was odd.

Since I'm no longer on the bike and the appearance of all these new moles I'm now cautious about sun exposure (if not somewhat paranoid! Lol), I try not to sit purposely in the sun (still don't use suncream tbh), are the new moles anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have you been to see your GP? That should be your first port of call for medical advice.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you been to see your GP? That should be your first port of call for medical advice.
This :smile: probably nothing to worry about but skin cancers are a real risk in any age group, and can be especially aggressive in the young

Start using sunscreen too regardless of your perception of skin colour

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last year I spent hours a day on the bike all through spring and summer, stupidly never used any suncream because I found it uncomfortable with sweating etc, plus I have olive skin so I don't tend to burn.....I just turned very brown! Lol.
Find a better sunscreen. There's many sorts out there and a recent thread on here suggesting some of the better ones. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/best-sunblock-that-doesnt-sting-the-eyes.201421/

I burn fairly easily so I see two choices: sunblock or don't expose it to the sun much if you can avoid it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Myself being of the ginger persuasion I am very careful in the sun. I never sunbathe and always cover myself in factor 50 when heading out on a bike ride. I am always careful to check any moles that I have have changed. Raised, inflamed, bumpy etc

Go to your GP, get them checked out. Just becuase you don't burn doesn't mean the sun isn't doing damage to your skin.
Splash on that sunscreen or wear looser fitting long sleeved cycling jerseys.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I had an hour snooze in the sun yesterday and now have hundreds of new small moles on my belly/chest. They literally appeared in just a few hours, very weird.

OP
OP
M

Mm87

Thanks for all your replies, I'll go to the Drs to get them checked out and from now on try to remember to wear sunscreen! :smile:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Good man.

From what I remember, staying inside (or in shade) during the sunniest part of the day is also advised. And to be aware of UV forecasts.
Moles that change shape & colour are the ones to look out for, especially if those moles don't have a clearly defined border.

Also, found this beeb article : here with links to more info.

Jody

Stubborn git
Not sure what others think but I used P20 on holiday last time in Spain and it worked a treat. One application in the morning and it protected me and my better half all day. There was no need to apply after swimming so might be ideal for cycling (sweating).

Edit: Just spotted Mjray's post and a lot of people recommending P20 also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks for all your replies, I'll go to the Drs to get them checked out and from now on try to remember to wear sunscreen! :smile:
Coincidently I was at my GP last week to get a brown patch on the back of my hand checked out as it seems to have grown, and sometimes itchy too.
She reckons it is sun damage and age related (54) so nothing to be overly concerned about, but to keep an eye on it.
My GP visit has at least given me peace of mind, and hopefully you will have the same outcome.

coco69

Veteran
Hi, I didn't really know if I should post this thread here, but being Cycling related (sort of) i was interested to know if anyone has noticed any moles appearing on their skin with the vast amount of sun exposure us cyclists have during the summer, is it anything to worry about?

This year I haven't been out on the bike much at all due to some fatigue issues (burnout) I'm trying to deal with and my skin is now quite pale since I've been mostly indoors. What I've noticed though is I've developed 4-5 extra moles on each arm (had only a few before this), even one has appeared on my calf which I thought was odd.

Since I'm no longer on the bike and the appearance of all these new moles I'm now cautious about sun exposure (if not somewhat paranoid! Lol), I try not to sit purposely in the sun (still don't use suncream tbh), are the new moles anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to be heavy footed on this but 1st port of call is arrange an appointment with Gp rather than post on the forum
Sometimes answers to questions really are too obvious

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
On a totally irrelevant (and irreverent) note, this reminds me of advice given by the late Daphne Whitethigh (aka Betty Marsden) - spoof agony aunt on Round the Horne:

"People have been asking how they should remove unsightly moles from the legs.

Personally, I hit 'em with a spade".​
On a more serious note, last year I had an old mole which started to itch like b***ery. GP sent me to hospital, where the expert took one look and said "Benign, nothing to worry about".
She then added "But, I can see sun damage all over your skin. Every minute of exposure will make things worse. The skin never forgets exposure, or recovers from it. Start covering up. If you can't do that, use SPF 50 and reapply regularly".

Top Bottom