New moles appearing on skin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I spent some time with people in a retirement village in Queensland. So people in their 70s, 80s and 90s. That's the great tanning generation, laying out in the sun in the 1950, 60s and 70s. It was depressing how of them were regularly having small "cancers" removed from their skin. In fact my inlaws were bitching about someone who was "whining" after "only" having 2 removed. "He should ask Jack. Jack has had eight removed so far this year"

Keep an eye on them. Look for changing, raised, inflamed. If you aren't sure, keep a photographic record, so you can tell if it's changing. And be a bit pushy if you are concerned; the NHS has a shortage of dermatologists.

Levo-Lon

Guru
May be these..harmless , but can be worrying until you see a dermatologist..who will put your mind at ease...they are age related too...post 40's

http://patient.info/health/seborrhoeic-warts-leaflet

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably just more freckles from too much exposure, but he should use sunscreen if out a lot this summer :smile:
I seem to recall he's a student, late teens early twenties, could be someone else of course!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll resurrect this thread rather than starting another very similar one ...

I have sensitive skin so I have to be careful. I have moles, lots of freckles, and burn easily. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way ...

I got badly sunburned as a child and avoided much exposure to the sun for 25 years after that. I eventually got complacent though and I have had 2 major sunburn episodes as an adult after taking up cycling again. My back and shoulders ended up covered in huge weeping blisters after one ride in a sleeveless top on a very hot summer afternoon when I forgot to put sunblock on. The exposed skin freckled badly and 20 years later the freckles still mark the outline of the top.

Anyway ... a 10 mm x 8mm mole has now developed in the burned area and has some potentially worrying characteristics. For once in my life I decided to do the sensible thing - I was in the local health centre today for a blood test, and after that I got a nurse practitioner on drop-in duties to take a look at the mole. She thinks it would be a good idea for a GP at the practice who has a lot of experience with skin disorders to do a more thorough check so I am booked in next week for that.

I hope it doesn't amount to much, but if it is a problem then at least we should have caught it in time.

Drago

Legendary Member
Having survived a malignant melanoma scare I would urge people not to needlessly expose them selves to the Sun, and to report any new blemishes (or changes to existing blemishes) post haste to a Doc, if not sooner. That shizzle kills people.

ColinJ

I've just got back from the doctor. She thought that the warty mole that I was concerned about is probably ok, but better to have it removed anyway. I also pointed out another dark blemish which had caught my attention. It has a dark centre which I think has slowly got darker over the past year or so. Again, better to cut it out sooner rather then later.

I'll get an appointment through in the next couple of weeks. I will probably have to stop taking my Warfarin a week or so beforehand to reduce the likelihood of excessive bleeding. (I nicked my finger on a sharp knife lurking in a washing up bowl a couple of weeks ago and it bled A LOT!)

Samples from both areas will be sent to the hospital lab to be checked for signs of anything sinister.

ColinJ

I got fast-tracked - my appointment is the week after next.

I just received a letter telling me not to worry that I have been referred for an urgent appointment. It went on to say that it probably will NOT be cancer but that IS what they will be looking for. Do NOT miss the appointment. Oh, and I should bring a family member or friend with me ... :whistle:

Somehow, I am more worried by that "Don't worry" letter than I was wondering what the dermatologists might find! :laugh:

ColinJ

You will have gone through a "2 week" referral system which is routine for this situation. Good luck :smile:
Thanks. I don't think I will actually worry until I get to the front door of the hospital. The letter did say that about 9/10 tests come back negative. If I happen to be one of the unlucky 1/10 then at least it will have been caught at an early stage.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
As an aside, white arm warmers are useful in summer.

I did 20+ years in Africa and I work outside. I have darker, resilient skin, but still err on the side of caution. This year I’m going to be using zinc block for my lips and nose. Popular with cricketers for obvious reasons. Yes I may look ridiculous, but longevity is my choice. I lost a friend (from Yorkshire) 9 years ago to skin cancer. Unbelievably aggressive cancer which started on his shoulder: 6 months after diagnosis, he was dead.

ColinJ

I did 20+ years in Africa and I work outside. I have darker, resilient skin, but still err on the side of caution. This year I’m going to be using zinc block for my lips and nose. Popular with cricketers for obvious reasons. Yes I may look ridiculous, but longevity is my choice.
Hmm - I always forget to put any protection on my lips! :whistle:

I lost a friend (from Yorkshire) 9 years ago to skin cancer. Unbelievably aggressive cancer which started on his shoulder: 6 months after diagnosis, he was dead.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Stories like that are why I decided to be sensible this time and go to the doctor to get the blemishes checked.

Top Bottom