new mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motozulu

Über Member
Looks a decent entry level MTB for me - depends what you intend riding on it, tbf.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The GT will do what you ask, decent brand and a bit unusual with the triple triangle design.

There's a weight penalty for all cheaper mountain bikes, but as I was once told, no one ever got fit riding a light bike.

Your commute would be easier on a narrow tyred bike, but they are not as handy on even light trails.

OP
OP
M

Michael86

I have changed the tyres to something more road friendly. I did have a hybrid bike, but I wanted something more sturdy. If the bike is too heavy, I'll just change the tyres for thinner tyres.

Motozulu

Über Member
It's not so much as changing the tyres to effect the weight (it won't really anyway) - if you do that then unless you constantly change back - the thin tyres will be rubbish as soon as you go on even a fire road with a hint of mud. You said you 'might' do some off roading? well if you ain't sure, I'd get a road bike or cyclocross for the commute and save up for a decent second hand MTB for some rough stuff.

OP
OP
M

Michael86

I know it won't affect the weight, but surely less friction on the road will compensate for the extra weight

Motozulu

Über Member
Yes it certainly will make it faster rolling - 100% correct there but I was just wondering about when you did a bit of off road? - this time of year especially you'll be all over the place on slicks. I do know a couple of lads who have bought cheap second hand wheelsets with knobbly tyres on and just change the wheels to suit? but it's your shout obvs. If you think you are mostly going to be on the road then yeah, stick with slicks/semi slicks.

OP
OP
M

Michael86

I'll stick to slicks. When i do some off roading, I'll probably get some cheap wheelsets with knobbly tyres on.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nothing to stop you putting 26" wheels and tyres on for your off roading.

Easier and cheaper to pick up 26" kit than 27.5".

Top Bottom