New neighbour is throwing litter into the stream.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I may have mentioned elsewhere in this esteemed tome, but a few weeks ago I spotted someone fly tipping in a country a lane a few miles away. I gleefully grassed him up the the carncil, and with my evidence they intend to progress a prosecution. Turns out Johnny Dumprubbish lives in the next street to me but I couldn't care less if he knows who his accuser is or not - there's only one lesson these twits understand, and that's the tough one. I'm happy to enjoy the benefits of society so it's only morally right that I stand up to someone who is taking the pees out of that same society.

In the OPs position I'd be happily keeping a diary and discrete photographic evidence of the litter and would merrily grass them up for their behaviour, and wouldn't give a sheet if they knew I had or not. The ball is then back in their court re taking the opportunity to correct their behaviour, or going to court with the chequebook to chat about it.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Just go round and ask them to stop. If their actions affect you, then it’s that simple.

After crossing their land it flows in a culvert under our house so it could affect us. When the previous owners were putting food out for birds we began to see rats.
I think there used to be a law that said that if the water crosses your land then the people upstream of you were responsible for the condition of the water .

In the first instance I would try and discuss it with them.

if that doesn’t go well, I’d be tempted to install a grate in the brook at the border of your gardens so that any dumped rubbish builds up on their land rather than being washed out of sight.

They then may be more inclined to desist.

I’d be wary of reporting them unless as a very last resort as disputes with neighbours can have a huge impact on your day to day life, creating negative thoughts on a daily basis.

Hicky

Guru
It’s a common thing unfortunately, a friend in Scotland who lives on a new build exec large and what I’d consider posh, her neighbour is doing the same thing, dumping their crap over the fence. Food, rubbish the lot!
Locally to me there’s an executive estate ie large 4 bed plus homes all new beemers,Audi’s out front and the gardens and fences are an absolute tip.
It’s a culture thing, unless you get evidence the powers that be will do sod all and it will probably be ineffective at best. Environmental health is the way to push it.
All the above apart from the Scottish friends story is witnessed daily by myself.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Natural and sensible course of action is of course to have a word; although I appreciate this can be awkward for some (myself included) and chances are if they see no issue with this behaviour in the first place they're unlikely to change it at your request.

Next thing if it doesn't stop; photographic and written evidence over a decent period and a report to the relevant authorities. If it makes its way onto your property you could collect it to add to your case; or just sling it back onto their property / crush it and push it through their letterbox.. although obviously this would potentially escalate the situation and end of the day you have to live next door to these selfish dickheads.

I have a vaguely similar situation with my neighbours of three years. We know each other to speak to, they've asked the odd favour, I've helped them a little with their rent and have tipped them off to metal thieves in the area when they left one of their bikes in the front garden. Even fed ther cat for a week after they buggered off on holiday and it adopted / appropriated us. They kindly dropped me off a piece of home-made pie over to me at easter. We say hello to each other when passing.. all seems nice and friendly; so why do I keep finding his dirty fag butts in my garden? :angry:

I can only guess as to the circumstances under which they're finding their way to my side of the large fence that separates us; but can think of few "legit" reasons; the most likely cause being that he's simply intentionally flicking them over. I'm saving them up and when there's enough to be obvious they're going to get tipped back over the fence. My passive-aggressive rage aside, end of the day they're his property so it's only right and fair that he gets them back.

Good luck sorting it out - I hope you don't have to resort to burning their house down 👍

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done @Moodyman, leading by example!
@Globalti I wouldn't report the family just yet, if it's a cultural thing try to make friends first.
Mostly us furreneirs people are reasonable ^_^
In my housing estate it's the opposite: me and another two foreigners are forever cleaning up, while the locals are forever littering.
During lockdown, we have been improving communal garden areas, disinfecting bins, picking up rubbish: I have to say it seems to be appreciated, but none wants to help :laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Its not about the PC police its about whether you saying that they were Asian is relevant. Had it been a middle class white family would you have described them as such?
:wacko:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If after talking to the neighbour the dumping doesn't stop, a report with photos not only to the council but the environmental agency who are responsible for the waterway.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wow, it wasn't long before the PC Police arrived was it? I thought long and hard about using the description. It's relevant because litter is a massive problem in developing countries and many times I've visited Lahore, from where this family originates and been shocked at the litter choking up the many canals in the Garden City.

So back to the subject, any suggestions on how to deal with this irritation and better, subtly educate our new neighbours and their children in keeping the area tidy?
Report them to British Waterways.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'd have a careful word too. If that goes badly, you could try the Environment Agency- there's a 24hr incident hotline (see link), I'm guessing this would come under the pollution category. There's probably not much they can do - especially right now, but they may be able to advise.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have a word and explain that the stream runs under your house, and if it got blocked your house could be damaged.

I've a neighbour that still has his building rubble on shared land - been there 6 months - can't see it at the minute as the shrubs have grown above it all.

Unfortunately, some folk don't give a poop, and if it's on their land, it's their land. Whilst some of us may like to keep things tidy, others aren't bothered.

JPBoothy

Veteran
It has the same relevance that they are new, Large, A family, Doing up the house and that the house is next door.

@Globalti was trying to set the scene for us.
It is definitely a delicate situation as there appears to be a politically correct saint in every neighbourhood just waiting to make you into a Pariah for trying to do the right thing. Were the two instances from a member of the same Asian family or from different ones?

Top Bottom