New neighbour is throwing litter into the stream.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
Some posts that were taking this thread off topic have been deleted.
Thanks for staying on topic.

Drago

Legendary Member
I might apply that approach to someone dropping litter in the street. I apply a different approach to my neighbours. I don't care if they like me but I do prefer to build a long term relationship based on respect for each others' needs.
So do I, if they're law abiding and behaving in a decent manner. If they're not, then I'm not bending over backwards to give them a cuddle. That ball is well and truly in their court when the game starts.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well the situation has gone from bad to worse, the family are using the garden as a country party venue so every evening they turn up with two ill-behaved squealy children and let them run around to let off steam. During this time various cars arrive and depart bringing all manner of friends and relatives and the peace and tranquillity of our leafy neighbourhood is wrecked by squealing kids and shouting men. It's especially bad that they're in the large front garden where the house forms a perfect reflector sending every sound through our open windows. Neighbours two and three doors away have contacted me to ask what's going on. Yesterday we had this from early afternoon right through to 9 pm. We are absolutely at our wits' end.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sorry to gear that Mr Balti. All I can suggest is you keep a very detailed diary of events, dates and times, and discretely gather photographic evidence if appropriate, then if it does get to the stage where the authorities are involved then you've got a head start. Best of luck my friend.

postman

Legendary Member
This sounds like a nightmare on Elm Street.So sorry, it might calm down when the 'family' have all had a gander where they live.I do hope so.For your health and peace of mind.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Well the situation has gone from bad to worse, the family are using the garden as a country party venue so every evening they turn up with two ill-behaved squealy children and let them run around to let off steam. During this time various cars arrive and depart bringing all manner of friends and relatives and the peace and tranquillity of our leafy neighbourhood is wrecked by squealing kids and shouting men. It's especially bad that they're in the large front garden where the house forms a perfect reflector sending every sound through our open windows. Neighbours two and three doors away have contacted me to ask what's going on. Yesterday we had this from early afternoon right through to 9 pm. We are absolutely at our wits' end.
It only takes one house to spoil the many happy and peaceful years that you have undoubtedly enjoyed before now. We have had a new neighbour nearby within the past 12mths that appears to love power tools and is constantly making things (especially on lovely relaxing sunny days), as well as noisy kids, a gobby wife and a bloody big Saint Bernard dog with an annoying deep bark!

I was brought up to respect other people's peace & privacy which included keeping the noise down between certain hours so I struggle to understand those with a total disregard for that. It is as if they believe that the louder they are 'in public' then others will think that they are such fun people and want to be just like them. The same applies to those who over exaggerate their phone calls in public, or when sitting on their drive using the blue-tooth at full volume. And don't get me started on people who ask you how much you have paid for everything :cursing:

Oh bugger, look what you've done to me now :hyper:

postman

Legendary Member
Just a little news on my side .Our neighbour returned yesterday after spending lock down away.During this time i have been looking after all of his garden, he was stunned to see how nice it looked,his gf said she had never seen it as nice in all the time she has known him.He thanked me over and over again,i hope in the weeks and months to come you can have some of that type friendship from your new neighbours.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You're a bit snookered with squealing kids - worse if they are bringing additional ones. We have one family here with the squealing kids, the other two houses with kids aren't an issue, but they whiz up and down the road with no supervision (so take no notice of what the parent's have said about not going near neighbours, so when the other two families are out front with their kids, it's really hard work for their parents to make sure the kids stay apart.

Thing is, with lockdown being relaxed, it's going to be as bad, if not worse.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I was brought up to respect other people's peace & privacy
Me too, but without sounding like a grumpy git, many people don't seem to respect this now. The time for a word has come, they might be totally ignorant of how they are disrupting the peace. If your chat falls on deaf ears, nip it in the bud early. If nothing chnages, have another word and say you're going to report them. If still nothing chnages, - pictures, written log, complaint. Keep taking pictures and recording incidents of noise on your phone to build a case.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It only takes one house to spoil the many happy and peaceful years that you have undoubtedly enjoyed before now. We have had a new neighbour nearby within the past 12mths that appears to love power tools and is constantly making things (especially on lovely relaxing sunny days), as well as noisy kids, a gobby wife and a bloody big Saint Bernard dog with an annoying deep bark!

I was brought up to respect other people's peace & privacy which included keeping the noise down between certain hours so I struggle to understand those with a total disregard for that. It is as if they believe that the louder they are 'in public' then others will think that they are such fun people and want to be just like them. The same applies to those who over exaggerate their phone calls in public, or when sitting on their drive using the blue-tooth at full volume. And don't get me started on people who ask you how much you have paid for everything :cursing:

Oh bugger, look what you've done to me now :hyper:
One Foot in the Grave: Season 5 : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Me too, but without sounding like a grumpy git, many people don't seem to respect this now. The time for a word has come, they might be totally ignorant of how they are disrupting the peace. If your chat falls on deaf ears, nip it in the bud early. If nothing chnages, have another word and say you're going to report them. If still nothing chnages, - pictures, written log, complaint. Keep taking pictures and recording incidents of noise on your phone to build a case.
'Speak softly and carry a big stick' - Teddy Roosevelt

(PS Not literally, obvs :rolleyes:)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You're right but is is about respecting other, I don't start any noisy jobs until 9am & finish at 7pm, unless it's a got to be done job, which I have in the past gone round the neighbours & explained why i/we're still making noise.
Me too. I even use power tools in my garage with the door shut, it makes a right mess with sawdust and is noisy for me but minimal disruption to anyone's day if it can be avoided. It then annoys me all the more when next door have a loud party in their garden until 11pm. Some noise is unavoidable, like the neighbours clumping down the stairs, but it's quite easy to consider others if you have been brought up that way.

I can quite see why these things excalate though (not in OPs case). it can become a case of "well if they're going to be noisy then why should I bother keeping quiet"

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Erm... Lockdown restrictions?

Top Bottom