New neighbour is throwing litter into the stream.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Different times and places.

I know what @Moodyman means though; I used to be invited to customers' homes in swanky suburbs of Lahore and Karachi and the house would be immaculate yet right outside the walls of the compound would be piles of festering detritus and rubble, not to mention the plastic bags and other waste littering the streets. I could never understand why people didn't get the mess cleared up.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
^^^ Get to know them and then tell them the impact it could have on you. Be careful not to conflate other issues (e.g. the bird food/rats) or it could come across that you're trying to control everything round you. I'm sure you're not but stick to the issue and the impact on you. Good luck.:hugs:

This is important. Asians, are no different to other immigrant communities, in that they aspire to upwards social mobility and once they get there they sometimes feel, they're not accepted by their new (white) neighbours.

You'd be surprised (OP) how beneficial a friendly approach can be. A hand on the shoulder and a "listen mate...welcome to the neighbourhood. It's lovely round here and I like what you're doing to this place, By the way, isn't it terrible that we have cans of pop in that stream" will go much further than "oi you, pick that up".

JPBoothy

Veteran
It’s a common thing unfortunately, a friend in Scotland who lives on a new build exec large and what I’d consider posh, her neighbour is doing the same thing, dumping their crap over the fence. Food, rubbish the lot!
Locally to me there’s an executive estate ie large 4 bed plus homes all new beemers,Audi’s out front and the gardens and fences are an absolute tip.
It’s a culture thing, unless you get evidence the powers that be will do sod all and it will probably be ineffective at best. Environmental health is the way to push it.
All the above apart from the Scottish friends story is witnessed daily by myself.
More examples of 'new money' slobs here I think :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
This is important. Asians, are no different to other immigrant communities, in that they aspire to upwards social mobility and once they get there they sometimes feel, they're not accepted by their new (white) neighbours.

You'd be surprised (OP) how beneficial a friendly approach can be. A hand on the shoulder and a "listen mate...welcome to the neighbourhood. It's lovely round here and I like what you're doing to this place, By the way, isn't it terrible that we have cans of pop in that stream" will go much further than "oi you, pick that up".
Although, "Oi, pick that up!" has always worked well enough for me. That said, I'm not interest in being chums and couldn't care less if they like me or not, whereas others may be a little more sensitive to those considerations.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

Sounds about right to me. Unless they're really weird they'll be keen to fit in. They probably just don't have a feel for how littering is regarded now. (Even in my youth casual littering was much more in evidence than nowadays.)

You might be able to take the hex off it slightly by engaging in conversation about something completely different, including finding out what the kid's name is, then at some point just say something like 'by the way, would you mind asking young Rodney to...' etc - makes it less confrontational, and more of a parents re kids thing rather than an Us & You thing.

alicat

Legendary Member
Although, "Oi, pick that up!" has always worked well enough for me. That said, I'm not interest in being chums and couldn't care less if they like me or not, whereas others may be a little more sensitive to those considerations.

I might apply that approach to someone dropping litter in the street. I apply a different approach to my neighbours. I don't care if they like me but I do prefer to build a long term relationship based on respect for each others' needs.

JPBoothy

Veteran
On the subject of Fly-Tipping, has anybody had one of those awfully nice chaps around offering to take away your garden rubbish and dispose of it legally in a 'special' place for just a few quid?

The world needs more of such nice honest people :angel:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think Moodyman's suggestion of making the family welcome, but hinting that the littering is unacceptable without lecturing them is the smart way to go about it. If they turn round and say the equivalent of "Get lost, we'll do what we want!", then fair enough, report them then!

On the subject of Fly-Tipping, has anybody had one of those awfully nice chaps around offering to take away your garden rubbish and dispose of it legally in a 'special' place for just a few quid?
Our local council went one better. They took the asbestos waste from Acre Mill and fly-tipped that. (Strictly speaking, they dug holes in the ground and buried it, but flood water erosion has been exposing it over the past decade or two.)

postman

Legendary Member
Go round introduce yourself,then mention you have noticed rubbish in the stream.I don't give a flying pig if they are aliens,giants or whatever.They need to be told,what's next old beds,bedding,sofas..Nip it in the bud,or a letter to the council.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

It's really the only way. Worked in "The 'Burbs" ^_^

View: https://youtu.be/pyRUijyrXr4

View: https://youtu.be/vi1Xiny6iqs

Last edited:
Top Bottom