New notation for Brompton models

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not everyone commutes in Britain.

I mean, personally, I don't see the point of a Brompton without mudgurards, but that's purely for my cycling commute - which is done year round in London.

But if you're commuting somewhere dry, then there is no real need. Or if your bike is less of an everyday thing then no mudguards is OK too. My roadbike doesn't have mudguards.
I love my S2E!
But I also don't need to ride it in the rain. It's nice to be able to have the simple unadorned option. I'm lucky to have alternatives....

There does seem to be quite a price hike though!!!!

Last edited:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Noticed this had occurred. However, by the time I had looked on the website, the A-line had already sold out. Otherwise, I might be interested in a 2-speed, straight-barred C-line bike, which still looks like it would be about £400 dearer than the A-line, and you have to speak to an online saleman before you can order one. I don't want to speak to a salesman. Salesmen tend to make me spend more money on something I am not sure I want.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Still promoted on their website and the text implies that the partnership with CHPT3 is ongoing.
They produce them in fairly small batches though and very hard to get hold of.

The first CHPT3 was launched in 2018, the second edition in in 2019 and the third in 2020. Always in around September. We are in Nov 2021 - no CHP3 v4 around.... So what makes you think that there would be one? I read somewhere that the CHPT3 v3 was the last one (but cannot remember where). The Brompton website is notoriously behind, especially when it comes to special editions. Often they don't mention things that are already around and start featuring them once they are already sold out (and sometimes keep doing so for years).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I guess they made the B75 b/w because people were buying it in preference to the M3L. It was a very nice colour, and much cheaper to add mudguards to a B75 than to buy an M3L, the slightly older components on the B75 not really being a problem.

yoho oy

It is a bit gimmick. Actually it is even more confusing as before both for newbies and for seasoned owners. The only thing is that B75 looks better in white color than in the dreadful neither blue neither green (but I guess it is personal preference). I suspect the new notation is just another opportunity to increase price of bikes. Bikes seem the same, so it is just marketing trick.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
White's an awful colour for an all-weather steel commuting bike. It will quickly get rust-stained around the clamps and other areas where parts are bolted or clamped on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
White's an awful colour for an all-weather steel commuting bike. It will quickly get rust-stained around the clamps and other areas where parts are bolted or clamped on.
I do own a white Brompton built in 2010. Ti extremities admittedly. Nothing of what you claim has proven to be true. Not on my bike and not on a friend's white steel Bromton that has been banged around in all weathers for years and years.

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
Nothing of what you claim has proven to be true. Not on my bike and not on a friend's white steel Bromton that has been banged around in all weathers for years and years.

Yet my wife's Cherry Blossom (not far off white) S6L which hardly gets any use suffers from rust staining around the hinges despite regular application of ACF-50. Just because you've not seen something, don't be so quick to dismiss other peoples experiences.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Yet my wife's Cherry Blossom (not far off white) S6L which hardly gets any use suffers from rust staining around the hinges despite regular application of ACF-50. Just because you've not seen something, don't be so quick to dismiss other peoples experiences.
Goes rather in direction of Rogerzilla I'd say. He did claim that quick rust will happen on all white bikes. I did not deny that things like that can happen on some bikes but told that they did not on mine and a friend's. Thus his generalizations are wrong. I did not not neglect or deny your experiences but do have my own whereas he did not even give a real world example as evidence but just did a massive claim w/o any foundation given for it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Rust happens on all Bromptons at the hinges, because they are scraped by the clamps and chafe a little at the mating surfaces. That's unavoidable given the materials used. But it shows more on a white bike than on, say, an orange or black one.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Rust happens on all Bromptons at the hinges, because they are scraped by the clamps and chafe a little at the mating surfaces. That's unavoidable given the materials used.
I'd say that generalizations are generally problematic. ;) No need to argue wether possible or not but while I do have some tiny rust-spots at the hinges with some of my Bromptons not all are affected. On the ones that do have rust it is only a cosmetic issue. I will however probably not even in 100 years become structurally problematic.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Looks like they’ve had another price hike too.

Just saw an advert on Facebook and a normal 6-speed is now a fiver short of £1,500.

That’s with the Cambium seat and lighting, but I can’t find the post where we talked about pricing a month or so back.

Top Bottom