New notation for Brompton models

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoho oy

White's an awful colour for an all-weather steel commuting bike. It will quickly get rust-stained around the clamps and other areas where parts are bolted or clamped on.
Well (knock on a wood) it seems paint job is not bad. On other hand there is some rust inside of a tube already (after just taking out of a box for first time), especially in a longer side part. In fact I am quite surprised that inside is not in any way treated with anything. The shorter side of folding tube has some sort of paint runoff and some sort of lacquer I guess? It is not intentionally painted, it is rather runoff or some sort of spillover. That somehow would mitigate rust in short term. But the longer folding frame part is just totally bare metal.

White is not bad colour for visibility issues during night time riding. Personally it looks better for me in picture than original colour B75.

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
Well (knock on a wood) it seems paint job is not bad. On other hand there is some rust inside of a tube already (after just taking out of a box for first time), especially in a longer side part. In fact I am quite surprised that inside is not in any way treated with anything.

It has been quoted countless times, now it has been quotet countless +1:

DURABILITY

Before painting, each frame is pre-treated with a chemical anti-corrosion treatment. This protects the bare metal and prevents any surface corrosion that may develop, penetrating through the metal. Often visible in the open tube ends, this rusting is on the inside of the frame tubes and is purely cosmetic than a structural problem. The electrostatic spraying of powder paint means the powder cannot enter into the inside of tubes easily and means that there is no paint on the inside of tubes beyond the first 3-10mm. Consequently, the inside surface of the frame on a Brompton is unpainted and can appear ‘rusty’ but this will only be a surface discolouration due to the chemical anti-corrosion treatment.

As the steelwork is protected from corrosion there is no need to apply any rustproofing or similar to seal the tubes. Blocking the ends of the tube can do more harm than good and can actually trap moisture inside the frame and not allow it to breathe. Wiping with an oiled rag will lessen the appearance of this yellow-red colouration.

This quote is from Brompton's support pages. It is a good idea to check i.e. there or to ask before making claims like your "that inside is not in any way treated with anything" - which is simply untrue. Such wrong claims are the reason why forums are often a dubious source of information and due have a bad reputation in that aspect.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I dis the rear triangle of my steel one with Dynax S50. It comes with a nice flexible lance to get right into the tubes.

Top Bottom