New off road commute route

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by skudupnorth, 12 Jul 2018.

1. skudupnorth

skudupnorth Cycling Skoda lover

As it says on the tin,I have a new route from my house in Astley to the outskirts of Bolton with very little on road riding.
    I have had enough of arrogant drivers and rubbish roads which prompted me to look into routes that will get me to and from work without mixing with increasingly bad road users and surfaces.
    With a new guided busway a mile from my door now linking other old rail routes, this off road option is now possible and it has made cycle commuting a pleasure again.The surface is perfect and surprisingly glass and litter free. It ends about a mile and a half from work and even that bit of road use is pleasant so all is good. I am ordering some ice tyres for the bike because I would like to use this route through winter and we all know these routes do not get cleared. Enjoy the photos of my “ Horrible “ commute :laugh:

Attached Files:

2. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

The problem is our roads are so rubbish that you actually need a full suspension mtb with 2.5" tyres to ride on them. I wouldn't mind if we just had dirt tracks: there wouldn't be much difference compared to the current quality of our roads but it'd be far cheaper.

Clanghead and skudupnorth like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

I have had enough of bad drivers and now the roads are looking worse for wear it was great to find the local council’s had finally linked old rail routes with the busway near my house to work.

Littgull and Pat "5mph" like this.
  4. ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

Very nice!

I would definitely be looking out for that kind of thing if I had to commute in busy areas.

Littgull and skudupnorth like this.
  5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

You'll love ice tyres - I have two sets.

I was using the Floop to cut out the nasty bits of my commute, and got splatted 300 yards short of it on a residential street.

6. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

Just typical you getting hit just after the trail. The Bolton end is not too bad, but I will still keep my Spidy senses on alert

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  7. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Mine was the Reddish end - it was also about the only road bit I had to do on my Winter commute on the MTB - typical hey !

skudupnorth likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

I have been looking at it for a while but never had time to explore it properly. It was only when I took my daughter to the swimming baths that I noticed where the route popped up and this got me thinking about the off road option. I should have used it a long time ago but some links were not in place. The council have done an amazing job using the old rail routes which is a nice change from some of the rubbish cycle lanes they give us

9. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

Very nice

Looks exactly like 5 miles of my commute

skudupnorth likes this.
  10. Brandane

Brandane Fair weather cyclist.

Looks good; my kind of cycling! Does it add much (distance wise) to your old road route?

classic33 and skudupnorth like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

Adds two miles each way but takes no longer time wise due to the lovely smooth run and hardly any stops other than crossing a couple of minor roads. It really makes cycle commuting a pleasure again

12. Rob Walker

Rob Walker Active Member

What’s the busway surface like? Is it gravel or tarmac? Wondering if it might be a better option than the A580’s cycle path into Manchester

13. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

It’s compacted gravel over a tarmac type surface. It can be a bit bouncy in places but I can still ride it on my fixie or Heinz 57 commuter without issues. I absolutely love it and when you chat to other users they also think it is a massive asset to the area. I must admit, the A580 path is also one of the best

14. OP
    OP
    skudupnorth

The smell of damp woods this morning was brilliant,none of that car fume stuff !

Pat "5mph", Vantage and DCBassman like this.
  15. Rob Walker

Rob Walker Active Member

So it's a bit like the path on the Roe Green / Tyldsley looplines? That should be OK for me - I'm currently on a road bike with 25c tyres, but will switch to a gravel/CX bike soon. The A580's OK, but having to stop for junctions is a pain (and risky) and there's some sections that are a bit narrow and rough - e.g. from Ellenbrook road to A575.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice