New off road commute route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The problem is our roads are so rubbish that you actually need a full suspension mtb with 2.5" tyres to ride on them. I wouldn't mind if we just had dirt tracks: there wouldn't be much difference compared to the current quality of our roads but it'd be far cheaper.

I'm of the view that breaking up, potholed tarmac is actually WORSE than riding on firm dirt or gravel. I had the displeasure of riding on a TfL main A road the other day and there were some cracks in the tarmac wide enough to jam a road bike wheel into, and potholes bad enough to throw you off if you hit them at real speed. Maybe they should spend their money on road surface maintenance rather than wasting it on vanity project nonsense like more superhighways? They don't even seem to know what street sweeping is for either, judging by the amount of broken glass I see on cycle tracks that is clearly never cleaned up.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
So it's a bit like the path on the Roe Green / Tyldsley looplines? That should be OK for me - I'm currently on a road bike with 25c tyres, but will switch to a gravel/CX bike soon. The A580's OK, but having to stop for junctions is a pain (and risky) and there's some sections that are a bit narrow and rough - e.g. from Ellenbrook road to A575.
The Roe Green section is smooth tarmac, the busway is tarmac with gravel on top which is not an issue even on 25c tyres.I ride my fixie along it with no issue running 25’s

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
9D88DC4D-AAFF-4F9B-9087-B0613EBD3BC7.jpeg
This mornings smell fest after the rain !

You'll love ice tyres - I have two sets.

I was using the Floop to cut out the nasty bits of my commute, and got splatted 300 yards short of it on a residential street.
I use the floop every day,never had any problems, although i know people have,seen many a dodgy character smoking illicit substances and a few winos on the return journey in the afternoon,only see school kids and dog walkers on the mornings,I'd sooner be on the floop than taking my chances on the A6,the driving standards in Levenshulme are abysmal at best,I've been offed in twice with cars turning left without indicating.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I know your plight about according to drivers' we are illegal when riding on the road general understanding.
However, you have become #getcyclistsofftheroad wet dream.
Commuters who use the roads are subject to more abuse than gypsies. We are easy targets, we dont have attack dogs.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm of the view that breaking up, potholed tarmac is actually WORSE than riding on firm dirt or gravel. I had the displeasure of riding on a TfL main A road the other day and there were some cracks in the tarmac wide enough to jam a road bike wheel into, and potholes bad enough to throw you off if you hit them at real speed. Maybe they should spend their money on road surface maintenance rather than wasting it on vanity project nonsense like more superhighways? They don't even seem to know what street sweeping is for either, judging by the amount of broken glass I see on cycle tracks that is clearly never cleaned up.
I hope you have reported all of the issues you cite on fillthathole :okay:

https://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

Rob Walker

Über Member
So I gave this a go last week. The surface was quite good despite being on 25c tires - a bit gravelly in places, but you can usually find a route without too much loose stuff. The full run from Leigh only took a couple of minutes longer than the equivalent run on the A580, but without all the traffic and junctions to deal with. Will definitely use again when I'm doing the full distance.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
So I gave this a go last week. The surface was quite good despite being on 25c tires - a bit gravelly in places, but you can usually find a route without too much loose stuff. The full run from Leigh only took a couple of minutes longer than the equivalent run on the A580, but without all the traffic and junctions to deal with. Will definitely use again when I'm doing the full distance.
Glad it worked for you and like you say,it's traffic free except for the odd road crossing

Top Bottom