New Peugeot purchase no. 1: Peugeot Competition - an update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've agreed to buy this from a club-mate - but what is it? OK, I know it's a large Peugeot road bike, with Campag Mirage but I don't know anything else (speeds, etc.). The photo seems to show the word 'Competition' on the top tube and I'm collecting it Thursday. These are his photos, not mine so I've no 'larger/clearer ones' yet.

Any thoughts on year, model, etc. please?

14264842_10153690201221338_5249121540202416706_n.jpg

14199364_10153690201256338_4979781644840366291_n.jpg

14192009_10153690201446338_8508155765876118789_n.jpg

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Our kids got one of them with Shimano RSX hung on it. Nice bike.

Don't know what it's called though.

davidphilips

Veteran
collecting it Thursday, did you collect bike? if so have you had a run on it and whats the future hold for the peugeot? hope you have better weather for cycling and trying the peugeot that over here the wind is not nice to say the least.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

An update: I've finally got the chance to look at this and it's not good news.

The Campag Mirage 9 speed shifters and derailleurs plus red Miche crank work. The Mavic MA4 wheels are fine. However the Columbus SL frame's got rust all over (photos below). I'm in quandary as to whether it's best to strip and sell or get it re-painted. Any thoughts?

2016-09-21%2009.27.27_zpsoaqu6atx.jpg

2016-09-21%2009.28.03_zpsp8q52uuq.jpg

2016-09-21%2009.27.47_zps34exdgp6.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I find it hard to tell from a photo but that does look bad. :sad: Does it seem like surface rust, or does an awl go in deep with a little wiggling?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Shame, that rust looks very deep especially on the stays/seatpost which could affect its structural integrity. I think I'd look fo another frame for it. Even more of a pity as I've found a rather nice Colnago frame here in white for £18, even the same size, a bit scratched but no rust. DHL cost would be prohibitive though.

davidphilips

Veteran
know if it was me i would try and buy the frame from cycleops a clonago frame would be a great upgrade, failing that strip the bike get it sand blasted and powder coated for appox £50.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I find it hard to tell from a photo but that does look bad. :sad: Does it seem like surface rust, or does an awl go in deep with a little wiggling?

Unfortunately it appears to be structural, particularly around the top of the forks. I'd be concerned riding a bike like this.

I think I'd look fo another frame for it. Even more of a pity as I've found a rather nice Colnago frame here in white for £18, even the same size, a bit scratched but no rust. DHL cost would be prohibitive though.

know if it was me i would try and buy the frame from cycleops a clonago frame would be a great upgrade, failing that strip the bike get it sand blasted and powder coated for appox £50.

Go on @Cycleops - tempt me ... :tongue:

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
@Cycleops thats a cracker, wouldn't mind that myself.

@DCLane its a real shame about that frame. I'd be tempted to strip it and see from the inside what it looks like but I thought I saw a small hole just behind the bottom bracket on one of the bottom rear stays. I wouldn't say it's totally trashed but it does look like it may be terminal. On the plus, if the components come off easy then you may recoup the outlay.

Top Bottom