New Peugeot purchase no. 1: Peugeot Competition - an update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's not bad. The chrome just has a bit of surface rust and should be perfect underneath. Looks like one side of the BB may be cross threaded though. No deep rust anywhere on the frame, just scratches. It's Colombus tubing but doesn't seem especially light.

davidphilips

Veteran
thats a great colnago frame if i owned it theres no way i would let it go, dclane if you can get this you are a very lucky cyclist and i look forward to the outcome of the peugeot/colnago saga.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's not bad. The chrome just has a bit of surface rust and should be perfect underneath. Looks like one side of the BB may be cross threaded though. No deep rust anywhere on the frame, just scratches. It's Colombus tubing but doesn't seem especially light.

Go on - tempt me with a courier quote included. If I don't have it then I'm sure someone else will.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Final update: it's been stripped this morning. All the parts came off fine with the exception of the seatpost (stuck), RH crank (thread stripped) and rear brake (utterly seized and I bent an allen key trying to remove it). The frame isn't holed but badly rusted and I don't trust it.

So ... I've a LH crank (!), 9 speed Campag Mirage shifters and F/R derailleurs, bars, front unnamed brake plus a pair of Mavic MA3 wheels with new-ish tyres and a 9-speed Campag cassette. Wheels need re-greasing and new skewers but otherwise are basically OK. All for £30. Now what to do with them ...

If anyone does want the frame please ask.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
you can still remove the chain wheels from the crank and the peugeot badge if you are to scrap the frame even consider keeping the forks then its just a mater of ebay for a reasonable frame, take your time as you dont have a lot of room with all your other bikes.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Oh and a 90s 170 chorus RH crank

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Thanks @DCLane I've just had a quick wire brush around some places and think it will be salvageable.
Can also confirm it's the CP10 version of the performance from around 1999.
I'm looking forward to getting this stripped and maybe an acid rinse so I can check if the rust goes in.

Top Bottom