New project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
I know I could have bought a new bike for the amount Ive spent and Id never get my money back. but I wanted a cool retro ride for my short commute for work, and I must admit I love it :smile:

You can't buy the satisfaction gained from restoring a bike to it's former glory! Very nicely done!

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
...Ive been watching some Brooks saddles on Ebay but they are all going for high prices...

Try Spa Cycles, they do their own leather saddles. I don't know of anyone who has one, but Spa have been going for yonks and are the first port of call for many touring/Audax riders, so I'd be confident of the quality.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Try Spa Cycles, they do their own leather saddles. I don't know of anyone who has one, but Spa have been going for yonks and are the first port of call for many touring/Audax riders, so I'd be confident of the quality.
There's a Spa Aire sitting atop one of the bikes in this house (NOT one of mine!) and although it's not as nicely finished as a Brooks it's a good looking saddle, and very comfortable so I'm told.

Bike looks great, steve :thumbsup:

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Thanks for the heads up on the Spa saddles, that may be the route I head sometime shortly. I wish Id read the posts before purchasing the charge spoon.
Today I bought new brake cables, but couldnt get white outers from any of the LBS's in town. black not a problem white... no way. looks like I may be shopping on Ebay again tomorrow unless any of you know somewhere I can get enough white outer for the two brake cables and the sturmey cable.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Try Kevin Ablitt, The Bike Doctor: not sure if he'll have white, but he's a good guy to know either way.

Failing that, there are two eBay sellers: Starcycles (gear & brake) and BAF Cycles (gear & brake [white out of stock]) who sell it in different lengths; you'll need to measure up and see who is cheapest.

The gear cable is for a Sti/Ergopower set-up, so you might be able to get away with using cheaper brake outers all round.

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
quick update. the cables and white outers arrived today. Im hoping the saddle and grips will appear tomorrow. hoping to finish the bike this weekend :smile:

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Well today Ive finally put the finishing touches to my retro Raleigh City. the grips and saddle turned up today( not a perfect match but may be going to a brooks saddle at some point ) so saddle fitted and cables and outers fitted just left the grips. would they go on would they hell. then I read the instructions said " spray the inside of grips with Isobutyle alcohol. where the hell do I get that on a Saturday evening. then I had a brainwave. Ive had a sore back this week and had a freeze spray for it, when I read the can there it was "isobutyl alcohol" so sprayed some in the grips and they slid on a dream and once they dried they are stuck tight.
As I originaly said this was going to be a slow refurb but I got carried away and did it in a few weeks. and yep Ive spent what I could have bought a new bike with ( around £280 ) what I spent, and could have saved more if I had taken my time, but Im looking at it sat in my consevatory and I love it and I guess thats all that matters :smile:
Thanks for everyones kind comments and encouragement and a thankyou to "Scilly Suffolk" was good to meet you the other day.

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
7145578965_a2b64f8d0b_b.jpg

Top Bottom