New project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve keay

Über Member
My first real post in Cycle chat :smile: Today I collected a Raleigh City , which from the Sturmey Archer hub appears to be of 1985 vintage. My plans were to clean up and convert into a retro ride. The guys at work spend 100s of £'s on fancy mountain and road bikes I want to turn up on something cool and different.
Ive stripped the bike down, the wheels have just about had it,all the chrome is badly pitted but the sturmey arches gears work perfectly. my plans were to strip down the bike removing the mud guards and chain guards(which are in frame matching paint) add a brooks saddle matching grips and cream/white tyres
After stripping down,the mudgaurds and chain guard appear to be in near mint condition no chips even on the inside. so it seems a crime not to put these back on the finished bike. the handlebars must have been pitted as a previous owner has painted them in Hammerite silver so these will be replaced
So my big decision is do I buy some replacement Sturmey Archer equiped 26" inch wheels which from a quick search I can prob get for £100 or do I go the single speed route and maybe get the wheels for half that price.
Thoughts and Ideas appreciated :smile: This is definately a budget build. the bike will be used for the four mile round trip to work each day.
6953983958_f171b75816_m.jpg

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Would just like to add the frame is in great condition, only two very small scuffs, I dont think this bike has had much use in its 25 yrs :smile:

raindog

er.....
I'd go for the wheels with the Sturmey hub. But if your existing hub is in perfect order, why not get a decent LBS to build a new rim onto it? Then buy a new front wheel. Seems a shame to ditch a good hub, in fact the front hub could probably be used too.

Goldie

Über Member
I'd stick with the SA hub, giving you the clean lines of singlespeed but a few more options for getting up hills/ Plus you'll get the lovely "tick...tick...tick..." noise of a Sturmey hub diong its thing as you ride along.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Sounds nice, it's refreshing to read of someone reviving a less than glamorous model: kudos.

A single speed would be fine for your commute but the SA is original and for that reason I'd be inclined to stick with it.

I second a rebuild, rather than new though: assuming the races are in good condition (which if it's had as little use as you think, they will be) then it would be a shame to bin them.

Could you let me know where you found the new hub geared wheels please: I've a Raleigh Wisp in a similar condition, that I'm considering converting.

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Sounds nice, it's refreshing to read of someone reviving a less than glamorous model: kudos.

A single speed would be fine for your commute but the SA is original and for that reason I'd be inclined to stick with it.

I second a rebuild, rather than new though: assuming the races are in good condition (which if it's had as little use as you think, they will be) then it would be a shame to bin them.

Could you let me know where you found the new hub geared wheels please: I've a Raleigh Wisp in a similar condition, that I'm considering converting.
Theres a set on Ebay at the moment :smile:

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Thanks for the thoughts . I didnt even think about having the wheels rebuilt. I shall have a word with the LBS and see what sort of money this would cost me .

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Thanks for the thoughts . I didnt even think about having the wheels rebuilt. I shall have a word with the LBS and see what sort of money this would cost me .
less if you just supply the hub; you don't want to pay for them to remove all the spokes when you can achieve that yourself.

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
Update. I phoned around the local LBS's to find out a price for rebuilding my wheels. it was looking like it would end up around £130 for the two. Ive since managed to purchase some Sturmey Archer wheels that have been rebuilt with alloy rims for Under £80 as Im trying to not spend to much this was the prefered route, I may even be able to recoup a little money by selling my old hub on Ebay ( I wont get much I know) Ive also bought the tyres and some new handlebars.
Ive spent a couple of hours cleaning the brakes ( caliper brakes, wow these bring back childhood memories) everything is polishing up brilliantly. the frame is amazing Ive found two scuffs less than half an inch long on the the whole thing :rolleyes:

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
7113599699_32d95998fc_b.jpg

Top Bottom