New project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
bars need flipping imo and 66" should be about right for hilly areas, it might feel a bit spinny for flat areas.

ul prob find (unless its very hilly )that 44*18 is too short and spinny ,iv got the same on as a ss ,but if i flip the wheel it 44*16 and its much better ,doesnt sound a lot but afaik i tooth less on the back equals 3 more on the front ,,,maybe hahahah:thumbsup:
some guys run crazy gears ,,i know a guy on a fixed gear forum up here runs 52*14!!!!

I really didn't know what gear to run to be honest, so I opted for something I thought I would be able to cope with around here. It's pretty hilly in the areas I like to ride unless I go east from here out around Selby and York, but then I can always put a smaller sprocket on. Once I get the feel of it I will have more idea.

Soon find out huh???

As for the bars. Well They are just a pair of drops with the ends cut off. I never use the drops in general use so made I note of where my fingers rested when riding and cut off the bits I never touch.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Old Pool Bank?? On 42 x 17?? Damn Tim you must have strong legs.:biggrin:

Maybe that's what comes of riding fixed. :thumbsup:

I'd already done Pool Bank New Road several times, and I needed a new challenge. Old Pool Bank turned out to be right on my limit. Several cars and vans came the other way, it was only luck that I didn't need to weave when they were passing.

I'd have to be feeling really strong to try it again. I'd be gutted if I had to get off and walk the second time around.

Jonathing

Über Member
I'm really struggling with gearing in Sheffield. On my 12 mile route home from work there are almost no flat sections, but there is 1500 ft of climbing. The stock 42x18 is possible (just) but isn't really fun. Off road gearing, 42x20, is bloody silly on the descents and when I do ride somewhere flat it's far too spinny. I'm on the verge of falling out of love with fixed and getting a geared bike through work.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I really didn't know what gear to run to be honest, so I opted for something I thought I would be able to cope with around here. It's pretty hilly in the areas I like to ride unless I go east from here out around Selby and York, but then I can always put a smaller sprocket on. Once I get the feel of it I will have more idea.

Soon find out huh???
which is the right thing to do, if you flip them you'll find it better
As for the bars. Well They are just a pair of drops with the ends cut off. I never use the drops in general use so made I note of where my fingers rested when riding and cut off the bits I never touch.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
First time out on it this morning and it pretty much needs no tinkering. Everything works as it should and the fit is about right, but then I used my other bike as a guide so I suppose it would be.
I didn't think that steel would feel so different. Much more compliant on rough roads and I could really feel the back end flexing when out of the saddle.
My other road bike is alloy and I am so used to it being a bit of a harsh ride that I don't notice it. I might do now.
44 x 18 seems about right for where I have been riding but I have some other sprockets and I try a 17 and 16 when I get the chance. 18 would be definitely too 'spinny' on a flat ride.

jim55

Guru
most people gear it for most uphills and live with the high speed (ish) descents ,what i will say is that a lower longer gear feels easier on fixed ,say an 18t on freewheel feels no easier than 16 on fixed ,,fixed gets you over the dead spots on the pedal stroke and ur more inclined to keep pushing ,most noticeably up hills ,down is another matter though

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Well done on getting it right first time. You must have been keen to get out and try it. I looked out, saw it was snowing, and decided to stay in!

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Colly, looks great, enjoy, I'm not jealous, honest!
Thanks. I enjoyed it last weekend for sure. :thumbsup: :biggrin:If I feel up to it I'll have a short ride later.

Hi Colly, when you flip your wheel over from fixed to free, does the chainline alter?

I don't know I only have a fixed sprocket fitted. I never thought about it tbh I just sort of assumed it would be the same. Mind you I have no plans ATM to fit a free wheel.:smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
colly that looks great and glad to hear you like it .

must admit i was in two minds when i sold the frame set to you , but hey ho

if you fancy another go got another couple of frames that would make great bases

Top Bottom