New project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
A few things to think about:
1. Do you want 1/8" or 3/32" (there will be a much larger choice of components with 3/32")

2. Will you be able to get the gear inches you want with 48T (maybe it will work out quite expensive if you have to immediately buy another chainring)

3. I think square taper is more aesthetically pleasing, especially for track, fixed and single-speed, but maybe that's just me.

A few other places you could look:

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/

Thanks Tim,
Some nice stuff on the velosolo site and prices aren't bad either.

There was some talk on here a while back about whether you should use a lock ring or not. Those bolted on cogs would obviously do away with the need for a lock ring but are there any disadvantages to having the rear cog fixed like that. Safety ?
Also, is a quick release skewer strong enough to hold the wheel in place?

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Thanks Tim,
Some nice stuff on the velosolo site and prices aren't bad either.

My avatar picture is a screw-on 17T fixed sprocket from VeloSolo. The polish on it is good enough to use as a mirror!

There was some talk on here a while back about whether you should use a lock ring or not.

That thread opened a huge can of worms was really interesting. My own experience is that with a well greased thread and shoulder, a screw-on sprocket would not stay put without a lockring. Probably I use a lot more grease than others, but then I'd like to be able to remove the sprocket easily at a later date.

Also, is a quick release skewer strong enough to hold the wheel in place?

Don't know. Bolted is easier to adjust the chain tension if you don't have chain tugs because it enables you to 'walk' the wheel backwards by only having one nut loose at a time. See the section entitled 'Rear Wheel Installation' here

One other thing, don't buy a frame, sprocket/freewheel, chainset, BB and rear hub in isolation. They all need to work together to get a straight chainline.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
One other thing, don't buy a frame, sprocket/freewheel, chainset, BB and rear hub in isolation. They all need to work together to get a straight chainline.

Well I already have the frame but your right it will take some thinking about to get it all aligned correctly.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Well I already have the frame but your right it will take some thinking about to get it all aligned correctly.

I bought my bike as a single-speed, but it came with a flip-flop hub, so I just bought a fixed sprocket. I measured carefully and the chainline was good enough so I didn't need to do anything.

Maybe someone who's built the whole bike from the frame upwards can explain the easiest way to do it. I'd guess if you're going for a screw-on sprocket you need to start with the hub, work out the chainline it needs by measuring carefully, then adjust the bottom bracket length to suit. That would be the only way to do it on my bike as there is no chainline adjustment available at the hub.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Looking at that Velosolo stuff there seems to be a plethora of spacers and so on to get it just right so I'm hoping I can fettle it ok.
I'll decide on the hubs as you say and work it out on paper first and with a bit of luck it should be close enough to not need too much tinkering.

It's on the back burner again after paying my tax bill this week.:sad: Actually it's not even on the sodding cooker now.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Time for an update. A few (very poor quality) phone pics.

Almost there. Just need some tape and to fit the cables and we will see what we see. I'll be changing those old Campag levers too when I get some others.

SP_A0702.jpg SP_A0703.jpg SP_A0705.jpg SP_A0711.jpg SP_A0712.jpg SP_A0720.jpg SP_A0723.jpg SP_A0725.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Like it !

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
How many teeth did you settle for on Chainring and Sprocket?

Must be almost time for a CycleChat Fixed and Single-Speed ride from North Leeds :thumbsup:

44 chain wheel and 18 sprocket. I really don't know what to expect from it to be honest. I've tried using just one ring/sprocket on my recent rides and I'm hoping it is similar. I'll soon find out.
It's looking good!

What's wrong with the Campag levers?

Not much really but the hoods have holes in and are so worn they slip about all over the place. I have seen some inexpensive Dia-compe levers online which cost about the same as new hoods. So I am waiting until I need to get something else so I can avoid postal charges. (being a tight-arse and all)

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Just about done.:wahhey:

Fitted some cables I already had and some cloth bar tape that I found at the bottom of a box.

I have a feeling I won't get the chance to try it tomorrow but Sunday is another matter.^_^

Err? Unless it's raining !

Attachments

• SDC10635.JPG
    SDC10635.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC10636.JPG
    SDC10636.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 61
  • SDC10639.JPG
    SDC10639.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 63
  • SDC10641.JPG
    SDC10641.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 68
  • SDC10643.JPG
    SDC10643.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 61
  • SDC10644.JPG
    SDC10644.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC10645.JPG
    SDC10645.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 69
  • SDC10646.JPG
    SDC10646.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 65
  • SDC10650.JPG
    SDC10650.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 68
  • SDC10659.JPG
    SDC10659.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: col

jim55

Guru
ul prob find (unless its very hilly )that 44*18 is too short and spinny ,iv got the same on as a ss ,but if i flip the wheel it 44*16 and its much better ,doesnt sound a lot but afaik i tooth less on the back equals 3 more on the front ,,,maybe hahahah:thumbsup:
some guys run crazy gears ,,i know a guy on a fixed gear forum up here runs 52*14!!!!

Top Bottom