New project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
My project for the coming weeks.

5749-caf78c711f100e647b43baaab483ef43.jpg 5750-c30d9be5d3330f09928e606997e90918.jpg 5751-0de5c7bb9c085348d0e27a344b9b05a0.jpg 5752-ff6f3f4ef676db776e81ffa9759a449c.jpg 5750-c30d9be5d3330f09928e606997e90918.jpg 5753-4a254cdaa8ebd816d0f37df725769889.jpg

A steel frame sold by JC Cycles of Coventry. The frame has the number LA 9195 and was made by one Lee Cooper in 1995 and it seems he is still in the business of making frames: http://customcycleframes.blogspot.com/ I bought the frame from biggs682 of this very parish.

My intention is to make up a fixed wheel ride.

The frame has cable guides, a gear hanger, downtube lever bosses, pump peg etc. and seeing as I don't intend to refit gears etc do I grind them off or leave them in place? Is it ok, if I am careful, just to grind them away, or might I do serious damage to the integrity of the frame?

As for the colour.........well biggsy suggests sky blue ( Coventry City) but I am inclined to keep it either pearlecent white or maybe go for a more retro British racing Green. Green might be a bit dull but coupled with a tan saddle and tan bar tape it might look kind of nice.

I'll post more pics as it progresses.

I've posted this elsewhere so if you see it twice you aren't going bonkers.

Attachments

• 5750-c30d9be5d3330f09928e606997e90918.jpg
    5750-c30d9be5d3330f09928e606997e90918.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 40

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
The totally safe option: As it's brazed you can get them to remove the braze-ons you don't want prior to a respray. I suppose they could also change the drop-out to one without a gear hanger (although that might be very expensive).

The cautious option: Get hold of the appropriate brazing equipment and remove the unwanted braze-ons yourself. Remove the gear-hanger with a hack saw and clean up with a file.

The dodgy option: Get busy with an angle-grinder, but be aware that excessive heating during grinding may permanently change the properties of the tubing.

If you're getting a respray anyway then the logical thing would be to get them to remove the braze-ons at the same time.

Looking forward to having another fixed rider on CycleChat forum rides :cheers:

I normally have no qualms about grinding off unwanted bits,however just bought a columbus tubed Gazelle
frame which I've found out is pretty rare,I can live with the gear hanger,but feel it would look better without
the downtube shifter mounts and the cable guides,Dont know if I can bring myself to break out the grinder
on this one:headshake:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
colly thanks for the comments . i would leave rear hanger then if you change your mind re gears you can .

let me know what it rides like should be nice lee cooper has a real strong reputation for great frames .

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
A small tin of Nitromoors, some wire wool, meths and couple of hours work, and we get:

SDC10581.JPG SDC10582.JPG SDC10585.JPG SDC10586.JPG SDC10588.JPG SDC10590.JPG SDC10583.JPG

A bit of tidying up and cleaning off and it's on with the primer off to get powder coated.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
I'm still going through the umming and ahhing process. :smile: I have until the 3rd to decide. At least that's when the paint place opens.

Mrs Colly says it needs to be really bright but her suggestion of pink makes me think she's not taking it seriously.

Red is Good
Red is Fast....
Well it seems to be in my opinion.....
or i've just got a thing for Red Bikes.....!!!!!

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
hahaha. PINK. As if?

I confess to owning a pink shirt though.

I got it back from the powder coaters today, collected it this morning. £30 all in. Did a good job too. Although the ''workshop'' looked rather dodgy the proof was in the pudding as twer.

I decided on white. I know, I know but as soon as I got it back I just had to bugger about with it and I have sprayed the rear dropouts and fork bottoms yellow. Will probably do the lugs too so the cuffs and collars match. Yellow fading into white. Good ehh?? EHHH?

Biggsy. I weighed the frame without the forks ( and paint ) and it came in at 3.6 lbs the forks on their own were just under 1.5 lbs.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
hahaha. PINK. As if?

I got it back from the powder coaters today, collected it this morning. £30 all in. Did a good job too. Although the ''workshop'' looked rather dodgy the proof was in the pudding as twer.

I decided on white. I know, I know but as soon as I got it back I just had to bugger about with it and I have sprayed the rear dropouts and fork bottoms yellow. Will probably do the lugs too so the cuffs and collars match. Yellow fading into white. Good ehh?? EHHH?

Biggsy. I weighed the frame without the forks ( and paint ) and it came in at 3.6 lbs the forks on their own were just under 1.5 lbs.

The PC'ers I use up in mossley is well rum. turn up at 8.30 in the morning and the owner will already be covered head to toe in blue paint- looks like a bloody smurf.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
hahaha. PINK. As if?

I owned a pair of pink satin loon pants when I was 19. They were exceedingly tight and I wore them with a pair of 3 inch platform-heeled boots (clearly feeling that 6' 1" wasn't tall enough)!

I thought that I looked really cool until I was verbally set upon by the drunken members of a hen party. Several of the remarks were really quite hurtful, but the one that really stunned me was when one woman cackled "Hey look girls, you can really see the shape of his c*ck!" I fled to the Gents to check in the mirror, and flipping heck, you really could! :blush: (Why had I never noticed that back at home? Oh, the foolishness of youth!)

Pink satin loon pants bonfire the next morning!

Top Bottom