New Puppies & Cages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wormo

Guru
We are going to be getting a puppy in the New Year and me and other have a difference of opinion in respect of cages. My other half wants us to have a cage so the dog can go and feel safe. My view is that as there are only two of us who live in the house and kids are only likely to come round once every Preston guilds I don't see the point. As long as the dog has a bed and knows that that's its safe space, that should be ok. We never needed them when we had dogs when I was a kid. I'm not a fan.

What are thoughts of the dog owners on here?

Cheers

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
let him run free...hate cages

Chief Broom

Veteran
I could never put a dog in a cage, a dog of mine is my best mate and couldnt bare to see him/her constrained. Pro-cagers will give all kinds of rational for the practice but still i couldnt do it!

Our dog had a crate to begin with - he was a rescue and we thought it was a safe place for him (and us). Now we know him better and the crate has gone. If you get one - make sure it's big enough for him, and it doesn't have to be permanent.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
There is good and bad. Good because when you want to go out the tiny terror won't eat the house and bad because not all dogs take to it and cry like banshees. We have two Whippets, both hated them so within days they were gone. They now have cosy caves and are happy pups.

What sort of dog are you getting?

OP
OP
W

wormo

Guru
It will be a border terrier. The dog can be shut in the kitchen if we are out. We are both planning to be working from home. Going in the office on separate days.

Never used a cage but a small pen, especially when the puppy is in the bitey stage is a godsend.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Our cavalier had a big crate (with a bed in it), made it much easier for leaving them at home, or in a holiday cottage or friends houses, so you weren't in fear of them wrecking the place.

She would go to sleep in it day or night without having to be told or have the door shut. It was her space and she liked it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My sister used one with the pub Labrador for a few months - mainly to stop destruction when they popped out. Dog was absolutely fine with it. They soon stopped using it as he's settled down and grew. We've got it now and it's converted to a cat run for use at the caravan, means we can open the caravan door without the house cats escaping !

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had an open topped pen, for when Toffee was in his ‘biting the furniture’ stage. His bed was in there and he seemed perfectly happy in there. By the time he was 6 months old, he could have hopped over it but it wasn’t in use then. I found the pen handy for when I had to pop out or for times when I was working from home and didn’t want my ankles chewed. He had a thing about trouser bottoms. He is a well adjusted hound, currently sleeping on his chair.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Our cavalier had a big crate (with a bed in it), made it much easier for leaving them at home, or in a holiday cottage or friends houses, so you weren't in fear of them wrecking the place.

She would go to sleep in it day or night without having to be told or have the door shut. It was her space and she liked it.
Our working Cocker is the same. He's had a crate since he was a pup and it's his safe space if he gets stressed. We usually put him in there at night for the same reason (he will happily chew anything), but the rest of the time it's left open and he can come and go as he chooses.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We fostered Frida, a Jack Russell for 6 months. Her Cage was in the bedroom and the door was never closed. She would sleep around the house during the day. But at 8pm each night she would sit at the bedroom door, wanting to be let in. She always chose her cage, even though she could have used the bed. The cage was not a punishment. It was her private space and she was never disturbed when she was in it. She loved it

Top Bottom