New Railcard for Former Armed Forces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
The argument about ex-forces deserving the card or not has been deleted.
If you want to start a new thread in NACA about the topic, feel free.
Thank you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Retired railway worker here, retained my priv when I retired. Ok off topic but I haven’t posted today. ( priv = privilege ticket authority card).
my dad woked on the rail as a sparkie and i remember still getting cheap tickets as a kid

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you're serving(a least in the reserves anyway) you have to pay for a rail discount card.
Paid killers?....:laugh: You mean sodhexo
But if you sign up to the TA or any other reserves for ONE DAY then resign, you do qualify. Or am I reading it wrong? :wacko:

Are you a Veteran?
You’ll be eligible for a Veterans Railcard providing you have served for at least one day or more in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces (Regular or Reserve). Merchant Mariners who have seen duty on legally defined military operations are also eligible.

Last edited:
"who have seen duty on legally defined military operations"
Well that's the SAS out, at least on the basis they can't prove or want to prove they were there. Them there are MRF DET and others who won't even have it in there red book. (An assumption)

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You are reading it right, but you'd have to be in a bit longer than a single day to obtain any of the required documents they accept as proof.

Agreed, I think I was after six weeks of basic when we passed out of phase 1 that we were told we were finally, officially part of the armed forces. There are exceptions of course, one recruit that I knew of was invalided out due to breaking his back in week 2 and he was looked after (i.e. he's regarded as a veteran and got some ongoing support), but that's quite a special circumstance.

As you say, you can't simply sign up to the reserves, resign a day later, and have any documented proof of service. We were told that if we bailed out of basic training voluntarily before passing out at week 6, we were not considered as having completed the joining process.
You were in a trial phase if you like, if HM forces didn't like you, or you weren't keen either, it was a handshake, no hard feelings, and good luck in your civilian life. There was no certificate of service.

Hicky

Guru
I'm not sure what individuals experiences are with the TA/Reserves and I'm sure they're quite varied(and some tales to tell) however I'd be surprised if you were offered a railcard on passing "basic", if you were and obtained one.....whats the problem.
Edited to add: the paperwork is such a lengthy process now due to Capitals involvement in recruitment the idea of in for a day then out is to say the least amusing.
As for who's a veteran I have an opinion, and one day of service doesn't cut it, at least wear out one set of boots:laugh:

Trickedem

Guru
I missed out here.😠 Just bought myself a Senior railcard and paid for 3 years. This forces railcard is better, because you can take another person with you which you can't do with the Senior railcard.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wouldn't it be nice if us ex forces types could flash our railcards and sit up front with the driver?

Well that's the SAS out, at least on the basis they can't prove or want to prove they were there. Them there are MRF DET and others who won't even have it in there red book. (An assumption)
I understand it to mean Merchant Mariners who have served on military ops. Atlantic Conveyor springs to mind, also Canberra and QE2, besides lesser known ships, 40 total in the Falklands war.

Drago

Legendary Member
Those who have been on sensitive duties get a standard letter (I used to know the form number, but memory fails) confirming the dates they joined their parent regiment, the date they left military service, and advising that anyone wanting more information should contact Colonel such-and-such on secondment to the MoD in Whitehall. I daresay that anyone calling the good Colonel would doubtless not get much else in the way of information, but its something to show employers and rail card vendors.

Those who have been on sensitive duties get a standard letter (I used to know the form number, but memory fails) confirming the dates they joined their parent regiment, the date they left military service, and advising that anyone wanting more information should contact Colonel such-and-such on secondment to the MoD in Whitehall. I daresay that anyone calling the good Colonel would doubtless not get much else in the way of information, but its something to show employers and rail card vendors.
Not being serious

Top Bottom