New road bike for £500? (Piccies added - Page 6)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Interesting. I'm 17st, so I was considering upping it at the rear, as that's where most of the weight is. What is the advantage of going 23c, if any?

Russell

adamhearn

Veteran
Sadly this topic is brimming with lore and you'll get a different answer from each different class of rider ;)

Going to a thinner tyre would be going in the opposite direction to modern opinion. You'll probably save a little weight but ride comfort could also be affected. Your decision should be driven by the local road conditions; there's really no point equipping your bike with thin rubber if you're crashing over dozens of holes and ruts each time you go out.

I would say that at 105 PSI you're more than adequately supporting your weight on the rear.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Piccies, as promised:
rt58frontthreequ.JPG

rt58full2.JPG

rt58threequarter.JPG

rt58rivalbrake.JPG

rt58fronthub.JPG

rt58rival22front.JPG

rt58headstock.JPG

rt58seatpost.JPG
rt58rival22rear.JPG

rt58rearbrake.JPG

rt58cassette.JPG

rt58cockpit.JPG

rt58levers.JPG

rt58headset.JPG

rt58bottombracket.JPG

rt58stem.JPG

Hope you like. :smile:

Russell

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
For £500 that's a really nice bike, if I was being really picky I'd say those welds are agricultural at best but it's no deal breaker by any means. You'll be changing that bar tape soon enough too as it'll look crap after a month (get black!).

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I thought the welds looked a little 'heavy' too. They're even and free of bird poop splatters, so all they'll do the job. The only detail I really don't like are the cheap Campag Khamsin stickers on the wheels, that look like they'll peel off at the first sign of inclement conditions. We shall see.

As far as the bar tape, I was half expecting to put more tape over the top to thicken the bars, to suit my somewhat large hands so I didn't really pay attention to the bar tape options I could have selected. Had I, then as you say, I'd probably have gone black and probably will.

One thing I did think I'd selected, was the 100mm bar stem, rather than the 120mm one shown. Checking my original order, it is shown as 120mm, so I must have fluffed that one, but it's only a few quid to change if I do find it a bit of a stretch.

Russell

outlash

also available in orange
See how you get on, changing the stem does make the bike handle different but enjoy it :smile:. The Khamsin stickers will be there forever, they're essentially fulcrum racing 7 wheels and absolutely bombproof.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Interesting. In my other hobby (astronomy) there is a fair amount of gear that is exactly the same, but sold under different brands, with maybe a subtle tweak like different rubber grip, etc - read paint job. Essentially at the budget end of the market, there are really only four or five 'houses' that OEM manufacture the vast majority of kit and wholly own what used be a lot of independent brands.

I was assuming that the same thing must happen in cycling, because there simply can't be the vast array of bikes and components there is, from so many different 'manufacturers'. My suspicions were further aroused when looking at a couple of frame geometries on two different bikes (can't remember which ones) from two manufacturers and noting that mm for mm, they were the same. Looking at the bikes seemed to show the same tapers, the same curves, although gaudy paint jobs did their best to camouflage the similarity. When you pointed out the Fulcrum/Campag branding, that was interesting, as it confirmed a suspicion, although that word makes it seem like a dirty little secret, which it isn't; It's just the way it is these days and it delivers amazing kit for previously unheard of prices - Telescopes and bikes alike!

Are there any particularly notable brand parallels a n00b like me would be interested in, or is more subtle than that?

Cheers,

Russell

outlash

also available in orange
Lol, small world. I'm a pretty much lapsed astronomer nowadays (too much light pollution) and I'm guessing you mean Synta. They of Skywatcher & Celestron fame. Same as Merida & Giant make frames for others. I would imagine it happens in many industries.

Tony.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That bike is reviewed in a group test in this months (July editions) Bikes Etc or Cycling Plus...

Only gets 3☆☆☆
It might sound odd but the "soft ride " quoted in the review might be a plus for me , what with my dodgy neck + trapped nerve leading to tingling hands when not even on the bike a more cushioned ride is a bonus .

SteCenturion

I am your Father
It might sound odd but the "soft ride " quoted in the review might be a plus for me , what with my dodgy neck + trapped nerve leading to tingling hands when not even on the bike a more cushioned ride is a bonus .
It could be argued as you correctly point out, that all these things are subjective, what might be good to the press road tester is not necessarily what the road cyclist wants or needs.

Top Bottom