New road bike for £500? (Piccies added - Page 6)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Blimey! A 'Sale' that actually was. When does that ever happen? More importantly when does an actual 'Sale' happen that I'm in a position to take advantage of?:hyper:

Planet X have given me a build date of Thursday, so we shall see what the delivery date is then. In the mean time, has anybody ever upconverted their Tesco Clubcard points into the 2-fer-1 Evans vouchers. I did it to £75 of CCV to buy pedals, shoes, bib-shorts, etc on Saturday and I've yet to see the digital vouchers be delivered by email. Next weekend is going to be very long if I have a bike (don't worry; Yodel will stuff that up!) and no pedals.

Russell

A couple of months ago I bought a Garmin 1000 performance bundle with Tesco / Evans vouchers.
The Email voucher came in a day or two.

vickster

Legendary Member
@russ.will mine is being built on Wednesday. I got a call from Planet X that is should be with me Thursday or Friday. I'm hoping Friday as I'm not here on Thursday. He said Yodel try to deliver the next day, so yo might have yours by the weekend :smile:

Why didn't you order the stuff for collection from Evans. They get stuff there usually within 48 hours, sooner if in stock at the shop

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
@vickster I thought about it, but the nearest one is Chelmsford, I live five miles north of Cambridge and work 11 miles north of Bury St. Edmunds. Once the vouchers are here, all the stuff is in stock and I should get it next day, so even if I don't order until Thursday, I should be okay. If they're not, I'll push the button on the shoes and pedals anyway and I'm pretty sure I can dream up £150 of other bike related stuff I can wait a little longer for!

Russell

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
A nice man from Planet X rang me today to say my bike is being built and will be dispatched by close of play on Thursday (which is what the email said), to arrive by Saturday latest (which the email didn't). Splendid.

In passing conversation, I asked how many of the RT-58s shifted during the weekend sale. A shade over 60 apparently. I hope they're paying attention when they build mine!

Russell

ISAAC_J

Saddle up and ride like the wind!
A nice man from Planet X rang me today to say my bike is being built and will be dispatched by close of play on Thursday (which is what the email said), to arrive by Saturday latest (which the email didn't). Splendid.

In passing conversation, I asked how many of the RT-58s shifted during the weekend sale. A shade over 60 apparently. I hope they're paying attention when they build mine!

Russell

Hi. I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Please reply back with how you make it out with your new bike. I have recently just completed a build with SRAM components and very happy with the end result. All the best.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
It's a bit short, but the RT-58 turned up today. I had precisely one hour after getting home to un-box, straighten bars, fit pedals, cleats to shoes and have quick ride, before disappearing up the Fen Edge Family Festival. Read; jump on Plug and go get pissed.

As that hour included a lot of start-stop, adjust this and that type stuff, my initial impressions are thus:

Blimey it's quick and isn't it comfortable.

I was nearly tuned into the SRAM double click shifters, but by the end of tomorrow mornings 25 mile ride, I'm sure it will be second nature. They is fast. The brakes will take more getting used to, because they seem so instantaneous. They almost take me back to my Aprilia RSV Mille with it's Brembo Goldline pad-per-piston calipers where you had to re-adjust your mindset to coping with brakes that had so much feel and yet could lift a rear wheel, with a quarter of a tonne of bike and rider, with a single finger from virtually any speed. You had to un-learn all of your other fingers wanting to join in the action.

More to come, but in the mean time:

IMG_20150619_184652.jpg

Russell

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's a bit short, but the RT-58 turned up today. I had precisely one hour after getting home to un-box, straighten bars, fit pedals, cleats to shoes and have quick ride, before disappearing up the Fen Edge Family Festival. Read; jump on Plug and go get pissed.

As that hour included a lot of start-stop, adjust this and that type stuff, my initial impressions are thus:

Blimey it's quick and isn't it comfortable.

I was nearly tuned into the SRAM double click shifters, but by the end of tomorrow mornings 25 mile ride, I'm sure it will be second nature. They is fast. The brakes will take more getting used to, because they seem so instantaneous. They almost take me back to my Aprilia RSV Mille with it's Brembo Goldline pad-per-piston calipers where you had to re-adjust your mindset to coping with brakes that had so much feel and yet could lift a rear wheel, with a quarter of a tonne of bike and rider, with a single finger from virtually any speed. You had to un-learn all of your other fingers wanting to join in the action.

More to come, but in the mean time:

View attachment 92620

Russell
Very nice :smile:
You soon get used to the shifters, when i rode a bike with shimano 2300 shifters with the thumb button all week then swapped to sram at the weekend i found myself trying to press a non existent button to change gears .

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm always trying to change gear by pushing the shifters on my single speed :wacko:

The one above looks like mine, except the ladies saddle is white. I do t think the cheaper white bar tape will stay white for long but that's not a great concern as its going flatbar :smile:

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Had a fantastic morning ride. This just rolls so easy, it's like the weight of my feet alone are doing the work. My Saturday buddy has a nasty cold, so she wasn't exactly pushing on, but I got a good feel for it and decided to sprint [Strava] segments on the ride and then wait for her. I set a a few easy PBs, but more importantly, I got a closer handle on comfort and ended up with the seat a centimetre higher and about 0.5 forward. The saddle is alright, but not as comfortable as my Charge Spoon on the Plug. I guess shedding more weight will quite literally take the pressure off and according to the scales, I'm sporting 4 less pound this week, than last.

Going from 28mm tyres (of the Plug) down to 25mm hasn't in the least affected comfort, but I'm guessing the frame/fork has as much to do with that, but grip does feel notably improved. Likewise, having the option of more places to put your hands gives them an easier time and I didn't get any finger numbness for the first time. Indeed, I'd say it's a comfier bike full stop. SRAM double click already second nature. Me happy.

A quick question to the cognoscenti, if I may. I've set tire pressure to 105psi. The sidewall notes 120psi MAX. Where should it be, or is that a suck-it-and-see kinda thing?

Cheers,

Russell

PS. It's persisting down here now, so no piccies for the moment.

Last edited:

adamhearn

Veteran
A quick question to the cognoscenti, if I may. I've set tire pressure to 105psi. The sidewall notes 120psi MAX. Where should it be, or is that a suck-it-and-see kinda thing?
Set tyre pressure to where you have a comfortable ride. What you set it to depends on how heavy you are and what road surface you find yourself on. 105 PSI is probably a good value to start; if you find it comfortable then stick with it else drop it down a little.

Top Bottom