New road wheels - should I go tubeless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just ordered a new pair for the best bike from the excellent Mr DCR. He waxes lyrical about how these new wheels are totally ready and very able for a tubeless setup.

No experience of tubeless on road. Limited experience of ghetto tubeless off road.

Should I? What are the pro's and con's?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I have two sets of tubeless-ready wheels- the Zonda 2-Way Fits on the Viner, and the Hunts on the Litespeed. The Zondas went on in 2010, got them to give myself the option…never tried it. Why I haven't, still…initial faff and expense more than anything. To wit:
New tyres (Schwalbe, and possibly others- not sure- do 'Tubeless Easy' which can at least be run with or without tubes).
Tubeless tyre pump or air tank (e.g. Bontrager Flash Charger). Depending on the rim & tyre combination, tyres might be OK to seat with a regular track pump. Might being the operative word…if not, that'll be some more money.
Then there's the need to check and refill the sealant ever so often. Which means either removing and refitting the tyre each time, or investing some more money in a Milkit (which I would probably do as the solution for someone who never changes his own tyres..), and not using the tubeless valves you'll already have.
That said, tubeless is still on the 'to do' (or at least try) for some time- the advantages of lower rolling weight/no snakebites/lower pressures without risks/nicks and cuts being sealed are pretty clear cut to me.

Top Bottom