New route to me but seems to have been there a while.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Strava does have its good points, I was looking at flybys on today's ride and didn't know the route one person had taken, they have renovated an old railway bridge over the river Wharf near Thorpe Arch trading estate, this connects with the cycle path up to Wetherby.

How long has this been open. ?

Slioch

Guru
I've got a digital OS 1:50,000 map from 2004 which show's there's a potential right of way over the bridge. Screenshot below.

I've ridden the cyclepath on that old railway line from Wetherby to Spofforth, but not explored it to the East of Wetherby. Looks like a good excuse for a day out exploring. :okay:

1594411498448.png

View attachment 535217

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
During the lockdown we were allowed to keep l riding. I really scoped out the tracks in my local area. Sometimes they just ended in a field. But other times they linked up to other places I know. I have developed a whole new network. Its suprising what turns up.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I've got a digital OS 1:50,000 map from 2004 which show's there's a potential right of way over the bridge. Screenshot below.

This is the latest OS map and right of way seems to have disappeared,I wonder if its now a white road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is the latest OS map and right of way seems to have disappeared,I wonder if its now a white road.

View attachment 535251
I took at look at my 2015/2016 digital OS maps last night and that is what I saw. It is a bit odd how cycle route 665 just fizzles out on that trading estate so I assumed that the former railway route SE of the bridge must have been built on? It would obviously make sense now that the bridge has been fixed to continue on down to Tadcaster so something must be in the way?

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I took at look at my 2015/2016 digital OS maps last night and that is what I saw. It is a bit odd how cycle route 665 just fizzles out on that trading estate so I assumed that the former railway route SE of the bridge must have been built on? It would obviously make sense now that the bridge has been fixed to continue on down to Tadcaster so something must be in the way?

I have read somewhere that plan is to carry the route on to Tadcaster, there is bits of info here and there.

https://www.wetherbynews.co.uk/news/environment/cycle-network-expansion-area-2665780

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I read somewhere that they are thinking of building a path along the side of the A659, which suggests that the railway route is no longer available?

Yes I read that too, its a shame but it is an improvement on just the road, I looked on street view and I think the track ends at the A659.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes I read that too, its a shame but it is an improvement on just the road, I looked on street view and I think the track ends at the A659.
I just checked out Streetview and the 'satellite view' (probably taken from a plane!) photos. Yes, the rest of it seems to be gone.

There is already a footpath along the A659 but it is too narrow to become an official cycle route. It could be widened but there are places where it looks a bit tricky to free more space. There is some room on the other side of the road, but I can't see them moving a road over to make room for a cycle path! :laugh:

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I rode from the A659 to Wetherby today, over the bridge discussed up thread, good Tarmaced surface up to Walton Road then rough Tarmac to Wetherby, no worse than some roads I have ridden, I was on slicks.

Top Bottom