New Samsung phone from Kazakhstan

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
They don't or rather the last one I had use a vanilla Android OS, they use their own which I found annoying, software I wanted to run worked differently, the controls were different I just couldn't get on with it, it also didn't do WiFi calling, banking or a compass

My last Motorola didn't last. Was rubbish after I dropped whilst riding my bike.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I always used to make a point of never carrying my phone in my back pocket,

Me too. I never carried it in my back pocket, except this one occasion. I had my overalls on, working on the driveway splitting pallets, with my phone on the kitchen window ledge. I took a call and for some reason slipped the phone into the back pocket of my jeans, under my overalls. I never actually sat down but I did get down on one knee to get out a nail and I guess the tightening of the overalls around my fat ass was enough to break it.

There was no obvious damage, only that the screen refused to light up when I tried to use it. At a certain angle I could see a couple of hairline cracks on the screen. That was it, the screen was dead.

I now use one of these:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09Z9DBCRP

IMG_0353.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

There was no obvious damage, only that the screen refused to light up when I tried to use it. At a certain angle I could see a couple of hairline cracks on the screen. That was it, the screen was dead.
Exactly the same issue, the phone still worked, you could phone it, it would bleep when messages came in etc. just there was no screen to be able to do anything with, strangely if you plugged it into the charger it would advise how charged it was with the symbol on the screen, it was like one of the colours in the screen had come detached.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Exactly the same issue, the phone still worked, you could phone it, it would bleep when messages came in etc. just there was no screen to be able to do anything with, strangely if you plugged it into the charger it would advise how charged it was with the symbol on the screen, it was like one of the colours in the screen had come detached.

That’s precisely the symptoms mine had. I could hear all notifications and could charge it but I couldn’t pull any data from it via cable. Luckily I had most stuff backed up to the cloud because, without access to Smart Switch on the duff phone, I couldn’t clone it to the replacement.

I still have it because I can’t wipe it of the data it still has before I dispose of it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I agree, but for the little online shopping I do, Amazon is usually the best overall deal in terms of goods on offer, price, and delivery.

My big brother refuses to use Amazon for the reasons you state, but I lack his moral fibre.

As well as the "moral" aspect, I simply value being able to try on clothes and return broken goods. Within 5 miles of my house I have Waterstones, M&S, Lewis's, Next and a giant Tesco. If they can't supply it I don't need it. I do now lack a decent outdoor shop which is very annoying.

Bike stuff I know exactly what I need, and it's more convenient online often, but I stick to branded retailers. Ending up with fake parts doesn't appeal. If I don't know what I need, I ask LBS and pay them.

Obviously, I'm an old fuddy duddy. But then again, I've never ended up with a Khazakhstani phone.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As well as the "moral" aspect, I simply value being able to try on clothes and return broken goods. Within 5 miles of my house I have Waterstones, M&S, Lewis's, Next and a giant Tesco. If they can't supply it I don't need it. I do now lack a decent outdoor shop which is very annoying.

Bike stuff I know exactly what I need, and it's more convenient online often, but I stick to branded retailers. Ending up with fake parts doesn't appeal. If I don't know what I need, I ask LBS and pay them.

Obviously, I'm an old fuddy duddy. But then again, I've never ended up with a Khazakhstani phone.

We should also mention Amazon's UK tax position which doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

I wasn't aware that dodgy imported branded goods was a thing, although I have seen electrical appliances with non-standard UK plugs which indicates the item may have had a long journey prior to sale.

Regrettably, a shopping trip to town is beyond my current mobility so online for non-food items is an attractive prospect.

My current situation means I think very carefully about how much I need an item.

Surprising what you can do without, so I have saved a few hundred quid by not buying unnecessary stuff.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I no longer have faith in Amazon for being the cheapest, not to mention the fact that fake goods, fake reviews etc are more prevalent now. I do buy stuff from them still, but am prepared to send it back if something's not right. But yes, simply not buying stuff is the safest bet

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I won't buy anything via Amazon as their employment conditions are despicable and that's when compared within a sector where conditions are generally very poor to start with.

Top Bottom