New Samsung phone from Kazakhstan

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I gave both a Moto g9 and a lower level Samsung a20? As my work phone and I prefer the Moto.

Stuff like screen shots are easier. Predictive textin is different too.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I gave both a Moto g9 and a lower level Samsung a20? As my work phone and I prefer the Moto.

Stuff like screen shots are easier. Predictive textin is different too.
Mate, I am over the moon for you, I'm made up, I couldn't be happier for you, but I DO NOT WANT A MOTOROLA, is that plain & concise enough for you?

Venod

Eh up
I no longer treat my phone as a phone, it used to be phones were for,well phone calls, that did a few other things, now my phone is much more of the computer in my pocket, that is also capable of making phone calls, the call aspect is very much a minor use for me, I am currently on a Samsung S21+ that does everything I require and probably lots more I am not aware of.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I no longer treat my phone as a phone, it used to be phones were for well, phone calls that did a few other things, now my phone is much more of the computer in my pocket, that is also capable of making phone calls, the call aspect is very much a minor use for me, I am currently on a Samsung S21+ that does everything I require and probably lots more I am not aware of.

Mine also does so much more. I can scrape the windscreen with it in the winter, and in the summer it makes a perfect door wedge.

Jameshow

Veteran
Mate, I am over the moon for you, I'm made up, I couldn't be happier for you, but I DO NOT WANT A MOTOROLA, is that plain & concise enough for you?

Completely understand, we are all happy somewhere on the tech ladder.... Alcatel to apple phones. I for one couldn't use an Alcatel!!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've got one. I've had it for about four years. Not at all useless.

Me and my partner bought Motorola's flagship 5g plus phones a couple years ago (£240 new). They never worked properly. Yes battery life was extremely good, other stuff not so bad, but constant bugs which differed between the same two phones. Like suddenly putting a caller on hold half way through a call, almost every time. Mine wouldn't open PDFs until I found a workaround which only worked 75% of the time. My partner had to return hers and got another, which threw up another bunch of problems different to the last. We now both have Samsung Galaxy S20s which were Ebay certified refurbished (£200 ish). Absolutely night and day difference, everything works great, no freezing, no random restarts, far better camera, battery is ok if you turn the resolution down.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I broke my phone, well not actually broke it but some FB sat on it & bent it, I didn't realise this & thought it had just failed, it was £285 8 weeks ago so it was sent it off the Samsung to be repaired. They have replied to say it's not covered under warranty as it's bent and they want £315 to repair it, so I told them No.

Bought the same phone again off Amazon, when it arrived it was in a proper Samsung box but with no English writing on it anywhere. Booted it up & by playing with the keys got it into English & all was good but something was niggling me, so I contacted Samsung UK support & gave them the IMEI number who advised that it was a phone that shouldn't be on the UK market & was supposed to be in Kazakhstan. They would offer no warranty on the product, I contacted the seller who initially claimed that it was covered under a Global warranty until I pointed out that was not what Samsung had advised, they at that point agreed to take it back & refund.

But I wonder how many other people just accepted theirs expecting to get a full warranty, also wonder how they are entering the country, I'm sure all the import & VAT is being paid on them, Not!

I’ve had a very similar experience.

A few years ago I bought a brand new Samsung from a seller on Amazon. It worked fine until three years later when the camera would not focus. I contacted Samsung to enquire about a paid-for repair and discovered that not only was it beyond economical repair but the warranty was over two years out of date, not just one year.

I decided to buy another new Samsung (different model) and again from another Amazon seller.

When this one arrived, I opened the Amazon packaging but not the sealed phone packaging and phoned Samsung to get them to check the warranty status via the IMEI number. They told me that I’d been sold a phone whose warranty had expired a year and a half before I bought it.

I thanked them and said I’d be sending it back to Amazon for a refund, to buy a Samsung elsewhere. She suggested that, if I could show her a VAT invoice for the phone with the name of the company which sold it to me, she would honour a warranty of 2 years from the purchase date, so that’s what I did.

Frankly, I was amazed that they would offer this and a little sceptical. However, I subsequently received an email from their technical services team confirming that my 2 year warranty was in place. Full marks to Samsung for customer care.

Then, a couple of months ago, I sat on it and bricked it. Eejit!

But I’d learned my lesson with Amazon sellers and went straight to my nearest Samsung shop (Edinburgh) and bought my current phone. While there, I showed my bricked phone to tech support and she immediately said, “That’s a refurb.” , because although it said SAMSUNG on the back, the Dublin PO Box address was missing, as was the CE marking.

And, like you, the savings I was making on these ‘new’ phones was small, nothing to make them sound too good to be true, just competitive.

Anyway, I’ll never buy a phone again from anyone other than the manufacturer or an approved dealer.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For personal phones I've had two Motorolas and two Samsung, currently on second Samsung. I prefer the Samsung but didn't experience any difficulties or failures with the Motos which I thought very good value.

mustang1

Legendary Member
That’s because no one calls 😱

Lol. My SO got a phonecall yesterday from a n auto-dialler. She works in the computer field so I'd expect her to know at least a bit about security. I told her to hang up which she did.

THEN....

She started calling them back!

Whuuuut? Why? Why are you doing that? I know she loves talking (and talking and talking and..) but why take the risk? If she wants to call someone, just pick a person out of the phone directory at random, not an auto-dialler!

Lee_M

Guru
Bit late for the OP, but I just buy late model used phones from Game.

You can see it, it's in your hands so no shipping from outer Mongolia.
I don't need the latest all singing and dancing gaming, so got a Samsung s20 for £300 I think, and you get a guarantee from Game.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Am I alone in finding this surprising? I'm no lightweight but I'm pretty sure I've sat on various phones of mine with no ill effects. Do you people have particularly destructive bottoms?
I always used to make a point of never carrying my phone in my back pocket, one was I figured it was one of the easiest places to steal it from, some scrote like whippet takes it & legs it, I'm never going to catch them up, secondly sitting on it, but I saw so many people getting in & out of cars with it in their back pockets I just slipped into the habit & have done so with the last couple of phones.

But this time I was working on the kit car which has hard fibreglass seats & although there is plenty of lard in my arse there doesn't appear to have been enough give, or potentially & I maybe grasping at straws they have made the cases thinner to reduce the weight & get the phones thinner, yeah that sounds like a good excuse, that's the one I'm going with.

In true snowflake fashion it wasn't my fault they made the phone thinner & easier to bend!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Amazon is a way for unscrupulous del boys to latch on to a monopolistic tax avoiding exploitative behemoth to sell objects of dubious origin to the gullible, thence making trillions for the unlikeable owner.

Of course, there are plenty of genuine businesses that rely on its monopoly too.

I agree, but for the little online shopping I do, Amazon is usually the best overall deal in terms of goods on offer, price, and delivery.

My big brother refuses to use Amazon for the reasons you state, but I lack his moral fibre.

Top Bottom