new season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

Kind of. Couldn't get to the final round of the Central League, but will possibly make it to the final London League round.

It's been an odd season. Put some good results in early on then had that horror show at herne hill (punctured and got hit by a car on the way home). Racing on the Wife's bike wasn't so great - it's too small - then I missed three races whilst in Canada over Christmas.

The Couch

Über Member
Right, that's it, another season over. Anyone else seen theirs through?
Congrats on the fine end result!

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Kind of. Couldn't get to the final round of the Central League, but will possibly make it to the final London League round.

It's been an odd season. Put some good results in early on then had that horror show at herne hill (punctured and got hit by a car on the way home). Racing on the Wife's bike wasn't so great - it's too small - then I missed three races whilst in Canada over Christmas.

I was just about to say how much I sympathise... but, three weeks in Canada! You lucky erm... person!

Got the wall art bike back to health yet? Shame you missed the Welwyn round on Sunday, that is an absolutely brilliant course, my favourite actually. We had great weather too, and the ground... just on the right side of slippy.

Congrats on the fine end result!

I was gutted after the final race, but I have now put it into context :biggrin:

Howard

Ever spent three weeks in Toronto in first -20c and then an ice storm? Lucky...not quite the right word.

Wall-art bike is indeed back to life - I might double the mileage on it this weekend with a quick 60 on the road on Sat then a slow 60 on bridalways on Sunday at Woodecote.

Your season sounds epic - well done :smile:

The Couch

Über Member
I had a look and found this on the race. I have to say it does look like a nice setting

Looking at the video, during the first tour I had the feeling this was just a very fast race. But a bit further on, I did have the feeling that that long bendy uphill piece was probably taking each round more and more out of everyone's legs . And that uphill piece (steps) in between the trees looked pretty cool :smile:

This track actually looks like a great location to have an international race. I believe the spectators will also have a pretty big view because of the "bowl" relief ... maybe the organizers should try to get a WC over there.
And our?? (my) wish is granted: Milton Keynes is added to next year's World Cup season. Apparently it will be ridden on 29th of November.
Tabor and Rome are out, Hoogerheide and MK are in.
Probably a good thing Rome is out (although this year was super-wet and interesting, other years this has been mostly as we say "racing around the church-tower")

I would say good thing for Tabor as well, but it's out because that's where the World Championship is ridden next year (Styby anybody? :smile:)
Then again, Tabor is quite interesting when it's frozen (and/or slippery), it's just that the past 2-3 years it has just been dry and very fast.

Let's just hope MK attracts some more fans next season compared to the last edition ;)

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Here's an article with a bit more detail (and, erm, a picture of your truly).

It will however not be held at the same venue as the National Trophy race was this year. They are talking about doing a NT event on the same course on the following day, which would be quite special for the amateur racer.

I too hope the crowds will materialise, but I don't think we can expect Hoogerheide-like multitudes regardless of the numbers of frites stands and beer tents.

The Couch

Über Member
Here's an article with a bit more detail (and, erm, a picture of your truly).
They are even calling you a youngster in the article:
"A World Cup would certainly inspire many youngsters from getting involved in a fast growing sport"
(Still if I would've been them I'd have tried to put someone better looking in the picture :tongue:)

It will however not be held at the same venue as the National Trophy race was this year.
Too bad, that "Bowl" looked like a really nice setting (and - as said before - as well from an audience point of view). But I guess the surrounding will be similar anyway, so the course will anyway be quite "hilly", right?

regardless of the numbers of frites stands and beer tents.
Maybe you should sell Belgian beers, that might attract more of a crowd ;)

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
They are even calling you a youngster in the article:
"A World Cup would certainly inspire many youngsters from getting involved in a fast growing sport"
(Still if I would've been them I'd have tried to put someone better looking in the picture :tongue:)

Too bad, that "Bowl" looked like a really nice setting (and - as said before - as well from an audience point of view). But I guess the surrounding will be similar anyway, so the course will anyway be quite "hilly", right?

Maybe you should sell Belgian beers, that might attract more of a crowd ;)

I agree with all your points :smile: That's a first. :smile:

I haven't been to the proposed venue, but it is apparently quite hilly.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
First race of my new season last night- did the ycca at Salendine nook. Grassy, fast and open, with an ace view of Emily Moor and Castle Hill. Didn't come last, which was nice.

outlash

also available in orange
First race of my new season last night- did the ycca at Salendine nook. Grassy, fast and open, with an ace view of Emily Moor and Castle Hill. Didn't come last, which was nice.

Always nice to cover the basics: finish, don't die and don't finish last. The two leagues race in (Central & Eastern) have published their provisional calendars so my season is on the horizon.
A mate who got me involved in racing cross looks to be taking it rather seriously this season by buying some 80mm tubs for race wheels!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Always nice to cover the basics: finish, don't die and don't finish last. The two leagues race in (Central & Eastern) have published their provisional calendars so my season is on the horizon.
A mate who got me involved in racing cross looks to be taking it rather seriously this season by buying some 80mm tubs for race wheels!
Think tubs are the next move for me.

Yes, a great place, if a bit draining (of energy) if windy, & it's routed to ride up the terracing

My last 2 visits

Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2009. Huddersfield New College. 3.JPG

Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. www.flamingcreations.co.uk. 4. Salendine Nook.jpg

Top Bottom