new season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Well you know that thing about a butterfly's wings...

I am having mid-season rethink about having adequate kit for this season. One tub dead, two hubs on their way out, the only wheel set that's in perfect nick are my diamond files, and they will likely not come out again this year!

Decided to bring in another wheelset (Chinese crabon) and mount up with Typhoons. With that, and a patch up job on the rest, I hope to last till January.

In the meantime, my spare bike will be on clinchers... :ph34r:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Mistley Cross was an object lesson in the importance of having a second bike. Snapped saddle rails on lap 5 would have been an instant DNF with just a pair of wheels in the pits, but having a spare bike meant I could rejoin the battle after limping to the pits standing up. Loss of two or three places instead of the whole race.

I'm also having a rethink on the wisdom of carbon railed saddles for cross :B)

The Couch

Über Member
Mistley Cross was an object lesson in the importance of having a second bike. Snapped saddle rails on lap 5 would have been an instant DNF with just a pair of wheels in the pits, but having a spare bike meant I could rejoin the battle after limping to the pits standing up. Loss of two or three places instead of the whole race.

I'm also having a rethink on the wisdom of carbon railed saddles for cross :B)
Wow, you actually have a spare bike standing ready ... I thought you were just doing amateur racing?
(There are sometimes even "pro's" - like Alexander Revel - who only have spare tires available)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'm also having a rethink on the wisdom of carbon railed saddles

:thumbsup:

First of the season on sunday now i've got over me throat infection- 'tis the Clough! Mainly mud and roots with a steep mossy tarmac climb in the lap. In fact there's LOADS of mud of all different kinds- slick slidy mud, grassy claggy mud and proper stop-you-dead-and-faceplant mud.

Can't wait.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Wow, you actually have a spare bike standing ready ... I thought you were just doing amateur racing?
(There are sometimes even "pro's" - like Alexander Revel - who only have spare tires available)

Hah, you think amateur equals unfocused? We take our cross seriously in these parts :smile:

A spare bike is a bit of a luxury, but I would say about a third of the League have a spare, about a third have spare wheels, and about a third wing it. The most focused ones have a pit bitch too :thumbsup:. Mine's on maternity leave sadly :cry:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned

First of the season on sunday now i've got over me throat infection- 'tis the Clough! Mainly mud and roots with a steep mossy tarmac climb in the lap. In fact there's LOADS of mud of all different kinds- slick slidy mud, grassy claggy mud and proper stop-you-dead-and-faceplant mud.

Can't wait.

Yes! Get in there!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
IMG-20131103-00158.jpg

IMG-20131103-00156.jpg
IMG-20131103-00155.jpg
IMG-20131103-00157.jpg

That was a tough race. Shimano make some good stuff don't they?

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned

Good stuff. Hope your hanger is a replaceable one!

I bet the Shark loved that.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Last two races I made a profit of £13 after entry fees. I am refusing to consider all the races without payola, the fuel money, the cake money and the kit upgrades and replacement.

Yay I made a profit of £13 :wahhey:

oldroadman

Veteran
Last two races I made a profit of £13 after entry fees. I am refusing to consider all the races without payola, the fuel money, the cake money and the kit upgrades and replacement.

Yay I made a profit of £13 :wahhey:

Don't give up the day job just yet then! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom