new season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

Storm in an earl grey tea cup I suspect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
A clubmate has captured a fairly cool series of hurdles shots at our club event last weekend. Still in 5th after this race.

Baldock CX 2013 117.jpg

Baldock CX 2013 118.jpg

Baldock CX 2013 130.jpg

Baldock CX 2013 070.jpg

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Yesterday at Hogg Hill Round 4. Came with rested legs for once and had best race to date. Came in 5th in the Elite Vets race and have now moved to 3rd in the League table.

IMG_0160.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
All these pics and reports are making me very envious. My CX bike is in an unrideable state at the moment, and my weekends are mostly otherwise occupied anyway, but I'm really itching to get out there and race...

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Mrs VamP is expecting a new arrival any day now - hence trying to cram as much as possible in before that makes me 'otherwise occupied' :smile:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Just found this one on John M's site, also from yesterday's race.

hurdling.jpg

The Couch

Über Member
VamP, you should really try to take some jumping lessons from Belgian Cyclocrossers (Sven Nys, anyone? :smile:), it would help limit time loss and you wouldn't be looking dogtired when needing to lift your bike :tongue:

No.. serious now, I take off my hat for the efforts
(I would be looking dogtired after 1 lap and would need to be looking already behind me to see if there's anybody who might start doubling me)
Recently I went on a MTB-ride with my brother-in-law (who is about 14 years older), while I hadn't been on a "standard" bike for a +5Km ride for many, many years... and besides the fact that I absolutely sucked where I was expecting it (not used to the distance and/or the climbing), I couldn't even keep up downhill, since he was also many times more "technically accomplished" than I was... so after that ride I realize a lot better what diffficulty it is to ride technical tracks (and that is just in comparison to my amateur brother-in-law, nervermind more trained people :blush:)

I'm more of a passive Cyclocross enthousiast (as are a lot of Flemish people), who enjoy seeing cyclists struggle for an hour long
(preferably in lots of mud and/or snow):thumbsup:

By the way... do you know any upcoming foreign guys, who might make it in the pro-circuit?
(We really need some CX pro's that are not Belgian or Dutch)

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
VamP, you should really try to take some jumping lessons from Belgian Cyclocrossers (Sven Nys, anyone? :smile:), it would help limit time loss and you wouldn't be looking dogtired when needing to lift your bike :tongue:

No.. serious now, I take off my hat for the efforts
(I would be looking dogtired after 1 lap and would need to be looking already behind me to see if there's anybody who might start doubling me)
Recently I went on a MTB-ride with my brother-in-law (who is about 14 years older), while I hadn't been on a "standard" bike for a +5Km ride for many, many years... and besides the fact that I absolutely sucked where I was expecting it (not used to the distance and/or the climbing), I couldn't even keep up downhill, since he was also many times more "technically accomplished" than I was... so after that ride I realize a lot better what diffficulty it is to ride technical tracks (and that is just in comparison to my amateur brother-in-law, nervermind more trained people :blush:)

I'm more of a passive Cyclocross enthousiast (as are a lot of Flemish people), who enjoy seeing cyclists struggle for an hour long
(preferably in lots of mud and/or snow):thumbsup:

By the way... do you know any upcoming foreign guys, who might make it in the pro-circuit?
(We really need some CX pro's that are not Belgian or Dutch)

Well if you can swing some one on one with Sven I won't say no to that ^_^

Don't forget the frites, beer and cowbells to go with the hour of (someone else's) pain! :cheers:

It' always really hard to judge what it will take to make it as a pro in the Belgian races - there are some really fast juniors in the UK right now, but they always get a huge reality check when they go to Belgium. :B)

Czech Rep will continue to provide a small stream of CX talent, the 19 year old Jakub Skala could be a name to look out for in coming years.

The Couch

Über Member
Well if you can swing some one on one with Sven I won't say no to that ^_^
Czech Rep will continue to provide a small stream of CX talent, the 19 year old Jakub Skala could be a name to look out for in coming years.
Well... it's not a one-on-one (my reach only goes that far ;)) but still a cool video, especially the second video, where you have a look from between the legs

I guess the tips in the (first) video and text are more for beginners then anything else :smile: but here is a short translation:
"Knowing how weak you can put the tube and still have plenty of grip, that is experience. You can practice that by putting the tires slightly softer than you're used to and experiment like that. Putting your weight on the right places is also very important. When descending it's best to hang as much as possible backwards and the same applies for a passage through the sand. And you need to constantly think about what gear you need that won't loose you time after a turn, already before the turn you should know the gear you need."

Thanks for the tip on the Czech, I'll keep an eye out for him.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
@Howard

Right! Third dropped chain in 5 races, something's gotta give!

What solution did you go for your single chain ring set ups? I have CX70 46-36 ATM and want light stiff and above all reliable single set up that will NEVER fall off.

Howard

SRAM Type ii rear derailure and a Thorn single ring, although a wolftooth would have been better.

No dropped chains - not even when I was left hooked by a BMW on the way home from herne hill on Sunday and ate tarmac. Sigh.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
SRAM Type ii rear derailure and a Thorn single ring, although a wolftooth would have been better.

No dropped chains - not even when I was left hooked by a BMW on the way home from herne hill on Sunday and ate tarmac. Sigh.

Ah man! You alright? Your bike alright more importantly?

How was HH?

Top Bottom