new season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

I'm alright, bit of bruising and stiffness. The bike is back with Matt getting checked out.

HH was dry, rocky and brutal - felt like I was riding a jack hammer around until I punctured and gave up. Not a brilliant day really!

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I hate HH! I've broken more bikes there than all the other venues put together.

One of the upsides of Eastern League are high quality smooth riding courses, and NOT having to go to HH! Only like it in connection with Muddy Hell :smile:

Fingers crossed your bike comes through unscathed. Perhaps your idea of having it on the wall was the right one.

Howard

Tis the problem with having nice things. C'est la vie.

Let's hope his insurance comes good.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Time for a bit of an update - a bit of a week, so please pardon the swagger.

First up last Saturday at Welwyn CX - rode the cross race of my life to score 6th in a very high quality field. Finally rode a race with fresh legs and it made a huge difference.

10122022126_79d0d78f93.jpg

On Sunday we had our Inter Club Hill Climb champs, my first foray into this weird and wonderful discipline, and managed 7th in a quality field, and our club won with 5 riders in top ten.

On Tuesday my daughter Maud was born. Here she is :wub:

smile.jpg

On Saturday we held our club HC champs, in two legs on two different hills, where I broke the course record on the first hill, albeit briefly, as a clubmate broke it again just a few minutes later, and I ended up third overall.

Finally yesterday, this happened at the Amis Velo Cross at Colchester in a very, very muddy race:

I had a comedy of errors day today, which included missing the gridding at the start, wrapping myself up in course tape on a run up, coming to a standstill in the deepest mud bog on the course and keeling over sideways for a near total immersion, riding past the pits thinking this bike is handling very strangely, and not realising I had a front puncture which meant I had to ride the whole of the outback singletrack on a flat front tub.
All in all, somewhat surprised to have finished in 4th and with prize money too.

What a week, I feel tired just writing that I think I might go for a lie down :becool:

Attachments

• 10122022126_79d0d78f93.jpg
    10122022126_79d0d78f93.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 58
  • smile.jpg
    smile.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Howard

Congrats, Vamp! Sounds like you've had a couple of good weeks.

For me...due to the CX bike being in dry-dock the hardtail came out.

10250476424_4845531914_c.jpg

And carnage ensued.

Howard

Rear hub didn't!

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I killed an FMB tub on Sunday and despite my best efforts it went in the bin tonight. Makes me sad, and my bank manager agrees. Rhino replacement on its way.

Howard

Bugger :sad: Makes tearing a tubeless clincher the other feel rather insignificant.

Except it ended my race - no spare wheels.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
The answer is right there, staring you in the face :smile:

N+1 applies to wheels even more than it does to bikes.

Howard

I have spare wheels, just didn't schlep them to the race - couldn't be bothered as I raced quite hard the day before so was a bit knackered. It means strapping them to my back and carrying them down to HH - a real pain.

How events would have been different if I had bothered though.

i) would probably have punctured a tub instead
ii) would have had spare wheel (tubeless) so could have continued to race
iii) may not have been RTC'd on the way home :sad:

In a parallel universe all ended well! Except for the broken Tub.

Top Bottom