New Set of Disk Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Captain

Hi guys,

I just broke my rear disk brake caliper!
The adjuster for toe in seemed to have seized due to road salt/crap and when I tried to turn it I managed to shear off the Torx so the tool just spins in the bolt now.

But as my birthday is coming up I might try to get a whole new set of brakes rather than just a replacement back one.

My bike is a Boardman Hybrid Comp with the Avid BB5 160mm disks on currently.

My Question is twofold
A) Does anyone know if it is possible to have just this one bolt in the brake caliper replaced?
B) What might be a suitable replacement/ should I go for cable or hydraulic?

Cheers

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
If your'e careful you should be able to frill the broken bolt out. Use a drill bit Smaller than the bolt diameter and "carefully" drill dwon through the top. You should then be able to extract the bolt with apair of pliers.

Whizzer48

I don't know nothing about cable disk but here what I know about disk brakes.

There is two type of disk fluid

I upgrade mine MTB. I was not hoping to keep update part but I found out when I went over the handlebars. The Cannadale had Magura the smallest one they make. I was going to fast and burn them up. When I took them apart the pad was too small for mine speed/weight. I updates to Hayes. Hayes use brake fluid where Magura use blood oil. When talking to the store they say the downhill rider use Hayes. The Hayes brake fluid it will collect water over time like a car. When it come to Maruga they use blood oil. It just a type of oil that can take high temp and have not water collection. I will say oil is like they use in auto transmission in cars. I took mine bike downhill with the Hayes brake and still had a hard time locking up the rear wheel like mine old mtb with rim brakes. The next upgrade will be Magura Gustav M and they just started making them when did the upgrade. It the only one that use at that time on tandems bikes.

THe BB5 is fine, and many companies spec these on medium range bikes, however they are not as adjustable as the BB7

If you look around the sales you can get these at a reasonable price.

The BB5 only allows one caliper to adjust, the BB7 both

You can also save by buying parts. The BB series will operate with v brake levers so you can again pick these up cheap... instead of buying a complete set

I have found the BB&s equal in stopping performance as my original Hope Mono MIni, but to lack the finesse, you have to be more controlled as they are not "damped" in the same way as hydraulic brakes and you tend to need to be slightly lighter on the levers when you try and modulate your braking.

Top Bottom