New Shimano factory to ease supply problems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Yes, I'm after some 7 speed stuff and after a cursory search my usual outlets are out of stock. I'd heard things were getting in short supply.

Good morning,

Shimano seem to me to be in a slightly dangerous position at the moment.

As they have such a huge percentage of the market I notice it when I see a bike with Microshift gears/shifters and I am seeing more of them.

Campag seem to be probably happy with their market position

Although SRAM seems to have stagnated in terms of growing their market share, a sudden rush to 1x10/11 could favour them. Whilst I do prefer a 2x I have been riding an effective 1x7 for a few months now and it is surprisingly good fun. So a market moving to 1x based in part on what is available and in part on possible cost savings seems plausible.

The odd thing about 1x7 is that as I know that I am never going to have the right gear anyway it's so relaxing just selecting a gear and riding at my preferred cadence, whereas with my 2x10 I want to ride faster as I do have the right gear.

Then of course someone might come up with electronic shifting at the 105 price point, on one hand doing this doesn't seem to be in Shimano, Campag or SRAM's best interest but someone in one of these companies might feel that the market at Ultegra level and above is not as large as hoped and that section has been pretty much milked so the time is right for 105 Di2.

Unless a new player comes into the electronic shifting market, which seems less likely as the setup costs would be quite large and the only thing really stopping 105 Di2 is that Shimano does want to make it. Sure 105 Di2 may be too close to Ultegra Di2 in terms of price in the current market, but if their hand was forced there may be room to drop the price of 105 Di2.

It is also quite rare to see a Sora/Tiagra/105 bike without other manufactures brakes or chainset substituted in to meet a price point, so Shimano still aren't able to make certain components at a price the manufactures want to pay

Bye

Ian

Shimano inability to address the shortage is quite surprising for a long established and dominant player. I wonder if they are actually running full capacity and unable to meet the significant covid induced demand for bicycles. Even the dealers and distributors are left cold.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Shimano inability to address the shortage is quite surprising for a long established and dominant player. I wonder if they are actually running full capacity and unable to meet the significant covid induced demand for bicycles. Even the dealers and distributors are left cold.

I think this is the correct reading of the position. I was given to understand in late summer/early autumn (when I was buying a new bike) Shimano had closed their order book for 12 months. Capacity had been reached.

Seems like a perfectly sensible move to me.

Good morning,

I was thinking more around the Tourney, Claris, Sora level where Shimano shifts a lot of product in 2x7/8/9.

Halfords for example have the Apollo Paradox, a 2x7 Tourney bike with handlebar shifters, downtube style rather than STI, for around £220 at these sort of prices and expected use a 1x8 would probably be just as practical and the small cost savings would be worth having.

At the moment non enthusiasts often expect 2x as that has been the norm since the 1970s(?) so whilst a 1x8 may serve their needs perfectly well there is an image problem.

I suspect that at this level, chains with a 1K/2K mile lifespan would not be well received. You want £25-£30 for a chain (105), I only paid £250 for the whole bike and have ridden it for 4 months, my last chain (5 speed freewheel) lasted 2 years !

So 8 speed, possibly 9 could be the limits of what the customer would accept price and durability wise in this sector of the market.

As Halfords Apollo/Carrera rarely go above Sora nowadays, Tiagra upwards means Boardman they are harder to say You can't have 105/Ultegra if you use Microshift rather than Tourney/Claris.

The Specialized Diverge Base comes in at £1,099 and that is 8 speed Claris with discs, and that's expensive in most peoples mind, unlike Halfords it would be a big problem if they somehow lost access to 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace.

Whilst there is a Claris disc brake I haven't seen it on many bikes whether this is due to price or availability I don't know.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Sods law says the massive upturn in demand will have evaporated by the time it comes in stream. A year or two to backfill any shortages and it could end up redundant.

Reactions: C R

FishFright

More wheels than sense

The Malaysian factory has been running at best 60% capacity when it was open. Due to covid restrictions.

Top Bottom